Thread: Linen cabinet rebuild / reface

Linen cabinet rebuild / reface

As part of the master bath remodel, I refaced and partly reconfigured our linen cabinet. Here is a before picture and a visualization picture the wife needed. It was painted MDF with overlay doors, and now it's walnut with inset doors. It does look bit richer now.

DSC_1353.jpg SketchUp007.jpg

The lower section of this cabinet had a very poor storage area, as you can see below. The bin-pull door (middle section) on this cabinet is where the dirty clothes go, and they slide down a ramp into this 48" deep section of cabinet into an area accessible via cabinet doors in our laundry room. The slope of the original ramp was about 45 degrees, so the lower cabinet could hardly hold a pack of toilet paper - it was pretty useless.
    When I reconfigured the interior, I raised the slope of the ramp so that I now had a 13" vertical "back wall" in the cabinet. The slope of the ramp is still plenty steep for clothes to slide into the rear of the cabinet, and since I repainted the interior and waxed it, they really slide good. You can see the improved slope below.

DSC_3229.jpg open_cabinet.jpg

I've still final painting to do on the surrounding baseboard. I made the quarter-round in walnut to match the other quarter-round. You can't see from the picture, but the small returns on the quart-round are walnut too. (New shower enclosure too, with some granite).

And the final picture.

DSC_3577.jpg DSC_3284.jpg

Blog Entries
    That really looks nice. Bet your wife is really happy with the way it turned out.

Looks beautiful. This is a humbling place. What finish is that? Also, speaking only for myself, I would have enjoyed more pictures between #3 and #4.

Thanks Jim and Peter.

Yes, Connie likes it a lot.

I didn't take any pictures of the construction of the face frame. Will do next project!

Finish is red mahogany stain on walnut, with a 3 coats of Pratt and Lambert #38 satin varnish on top, applied with a good quality foam brush, sanding with 220 fre-cut paper between coats 1&2 and 2&3. After the 3rd coat of varnish, I used 0000 steel wool and wax.

Todd