Thread: line burning

line burning

I am getting ready ta line in a bowl and maybe some pens. I now I can buy the gadget but that in Utah.
    What kind of wire can be used and will my stainless steel wire be suitable. I realize I need to be careful and use handles. Harry

I get free plastic laminate samples at a big box store, grind the edge thin then cut a small V groove with a skew and then press the thin edge of the formica into the V groove at high speed. A perfect burn line and it's FREE.

Harry

I use guitar strings with handles. I have read about using stainless steel fishing leaders with good results.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

+1 for guitar strings - I use the wound G string for larger grooves and the high E string for fine grooves - they work great, used ones are free if you have a music store around, and last forever.

I use stranded picture hanging wire from the local hardware store and attache dowel handles to each end. Burns a nice line a lot cheaper than buying a pre-made ones. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could turn your own custom handles. When the wire wears out, I re-use the handles on a new piece of wire.

I use stainless steel fishing line. Works well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yup to what everyone's saying, same here. Save that money for other stuff!

thanks so much Harry

I use solid copper, heats up quickly and I find it in various sizes free.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

One comment - it isn't the heat from the wire that burns the wood, it is the heat generated "in the wood" by the friction of the wire. For that reason, the wound guitar string will burn very quickly.

Got a friend with a wire welder? Come in several gages and works well. Usually have end of rolls.
    C&C WELCOME

Almost any wire will work. I just wrap mine around two pencils and use that as a holder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.