Thread: Indexing feature???

Indexing feature???

OK I have a Jet 1220vs midi lathe with an indexing feature. I am in the process of making a router jig from John Lucas plans and I want to be able to do some fluting and other features using the indexing gadget. My problem Is I have no idea how it works in conjunction with what I am working on. I know how to engage and disengage. But I have no idea how to really use this. It is a 24 spot wheel. The first things I would like to use it on is some fluting on some pens. Being this is a small diameter blank is the wheel small enough to do fluting work with??? What are some formulas when doing this kind of work??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: any photos you want to throw in would be appreciated also.
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 12-16-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Looking for photos
    John T.

Crap, my mind is mud right now (thanks to Dundee's - Honey Browns) but, im pretty sure you could trig it out (not sure what your really looking for).
    24 spots, should be 15DEG increments then you would have to figure the radius of your work piece and the size of the cutter you will be using to flute with.

What are you looking to do (in detail - create 'X' amount of flutes, 'XX' deep, something like that ??? ) ?
    As far as i can tell (my Rikon mini has Indexing also (only bad thing about the lathe, its sloppy - no way i can see using it 'as-is' would have to tighten it up)), but you could only create strait flute unless you "linked" the routers jig to the spindle so when you turn the spindle (by hand) it would move the router jig (some kind of pulley/gear shaft system), then you could create spiral flutes.

_
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

John's jig is basically a platform that the router can slide from one end of the blank to the other and the depth of cut is controlled by a fence that the base of the router runs against. You move the entire jig in and out on the ways of the lathe.

I believe the size of the router does not matter, only the bit used. Right now what I am attempting to do is make a series of flutes in and around a pen blank to allow either me to add some inlace or some inlay material of some sort. Now you will probably say you can construct the blank before you put it on the lathe. True to a point. I want to be able to make the flutes come to points on the ends much like a pool cue set of points but on both ends. So the material inlayed is tapered. If that makes sense.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around where to set each indexed point. If I want to make 4 flutes in a pen blank how many spaces do I turn the wheel to get each flute evenly spaced all around the blank is what I am after. I will work out the details on using the router. What is the formula to determine this concept??? Hope this is clear as mud Hope I am using the right terminology.

You mention sloppy. Why would this device be sloppy on this lathe??? Would it be better to get an add-on indexing wheel to use for what I want to do??? When I figure out how to properly use this and get my jig built I will try the feature. What should I be looking for to tell me it is sloppy or inaccurate for what I want to do??? Thanks
    John T.

I do a lot of decorated items I don't know of any mathematical way..put a piece of scrap on your lathe & turn it pen size and test some bits. it will become clear very very quickly as to what you need & how many you can get on the pen.It will also make you aware of how much extra "meat" you need to accomodate the depth of the flutes. Just do it at multiples. It will come out even in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around where to set each indexed point. If I want to make 4 flutes in a pen blank how many spaces do I turn the wheel to get each flute evenly spaced all around the blank is what I am after. I will work out the details on using the router. What is the formula to determine this concept??? Hope this is clear as mud Hope I am using the right terminology.
    John, unless I missed something, the problem boils down to simple math. If you have 24 available positions, and you want 4 equally spaced flutes, the problem becomes 24/4=6. If you index to every 6th position, you should come out with 4 equally spaced lines. I may be underthinking this, as I have never used a lathe with an indexing wheel, but as a machinist I used indexing rotary tables for gear tooth layout, and bolt hole placement.
    Mick

you are right mickey, but not knowing the size of the bit, one cannot get good results. if the bit too big, the 6 flutes will overlap. If too small, it will leave too much space. One really needs in this tiny format (pens) to do some practice.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

true Michelle, but I would think that using a ball ended, or sharply pointed bit and a little depth experimentation, one could come up with a pleasing layout. But I am out of my envelope here...I'll sit back and watch.
    Mick

The indexing part is still simple, just as Mickey pointed out. If you want four flutes, you use every sixth index point (of 24) to get them positioned correctly. You then have to choose the appropriate cutter and depth to get the shape of the flute you want, and the right gaps between them, but that part is independent of the indexing. That can be worked out with a little math as well, or just some experimenting. Start small/shallow and you can always cut more.

The problem with the stock indexing wheels comes when you want a pattern that you can't get with your wheel. In that case your only options are to get/make a different wheel or change your design.

If you look at page 29 of this lathe owners manual it shows a chart of an indexing wheel.

Mickey's formula is correct, this chart just puts a picture to it.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Where could I find the John Lucas router jig plans? Thanks

http://cumberlandwoodturners.com/PDF..._the_lathe.pdf

I just pasted "John Lucas router jig plans" into Google.