Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Bad News Good News

OT Bad News Good News

Upon reporting for work this morning, after 15 years with the company, the boss informed me that I am being retired. No prior notice, just, " today is your last day".

No consolation, but they let 32 others go as well. The economy, 4/11, construction industry in the slumps, all of the usual reasons.

The good part of it is that I was aching to retire anyhow, but my pride would have rather it be my decision. I have resources and several options... most, if not all of the other 32 don't. They will have to find something quickly.

And with my longevity, they gave me a substantial severance package. Most of the others didn't get that either.

I'll probably be posting less (I hear that sigh of relief), cuz now I won't have time to play on the computer.. too busy making sawdust.
    This above all - To thine own self be true. Wm Shakespear - Hamlet

Congratulations

Soon you'll be wondering where you found time to go to work.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Garrett

Ron,

Sometimes forced change is the only way we are able to take the risk and often it's the best thing that can happen to us.

Good Luck and post lots of pics of your projects
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Ron

I think it is inexcusable for a company to call a guy like you in & say today is your last day - after 15 years

Now if you stole the payroll or something that's another matter entirely

However it sounds like this might actually be a silver lining deal. Since you were thinking of retiring anyway & it sounds like you can - CONGRATS!!! Have fun making sawdust - but don't be a stranger.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Blog Entries

From a different perspective

Having been on teh other side of the table, I can assure no one on the other side enjoys what they have to do. Many times the decision is made way above their level. I personally agonize over any layoff I have to make. I go to the lengths of my ability and authority to retain people. Sometimes there just isn't any other way for the good of the Company and the majority of employees.

Having everyone take a pay cut to keep from laying off a few doesn't work either instead of a few unhappy people, everyone is unhappy. Been there done that, won't do it again.

I've seen it from both sides. Good luck on your retirement and enjoy the severance package you received. Remember you were compensated for every day you did work for them, they really owe you nothing.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Having been in Lee's position and Ron's too there is no easy glib way to deal with the human effects of these kind of actions. - Heck - I even once had to make the decision to make myself redundant.

Ron - You sound like you are well placed to make good use of the new opportunity. I sympathise with your wish to the main agent in the change in your life but can only say that as of tomorrow you are. Good luck and work safe.

Regards

Yep, happened to me about three years ago, after 16 years at a company that I helped found. "We're shutting the office down - see ya'".

Found a new job in 2 weeks, with a much better environment (less Dilbert-world). Sometimes these changes are for the good. I've been on both sides of it, too, but there are smart ways and dumb ways to do it.

Best wishes on ya' Ron.

- Ed

It's a shock isn't it? Something like that has happened to me, although that was long time ago. I couldn't retire. Eventually another job came along.

It's great you've got the financial resources to retire. Enjoy it. Life's short. I hope the other people affect find new places to go soon.

Originally posted by Ian Barley
    Having been in Lee's position and Ron's too there is no easy glib way to deal with the human effects of these kind of actions. - Heck - I even once had to make the decision to make myself redundant
    Yea, I've been in that position, too a number of times. No matter what the reason, letting someone go is a major mental bummer.

I'm glad that Ron is in the position to take charge of things; many folks are not. I have former co-workers who have been "out" for over a year with no real prospects. One is selling cars just to get by and feed his three kids and spouse--and these are folks who are highly qualified and skilled technical folks.

Best wishes to you, Ron! Enjoy your "next career" doing what you enjoy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lee, I agree with your premise

>>>>From a different perspective
    Having been on teh other side of the table, I can assure no one on the other side enjoys what they have to do. Many times the decision is made way above their level. <<<<

The problem I have is that after 15 years they tell you today is your last day! I usually come down on the side of the business & business owners - but there is no excuse for calling someone into an office, that has done nothing wrong, & telling them to clean out their desk that same day. The reality in today's enviroment is that a 2 week or so notice probably would not matter as a practical fact - but it is still a better way to handle it. I seriously doubt that upper management didn't see this coming 2 weeks ago.

I've never been through this & have no axe to grind except that there is right & there is wrong - & this is wrong IMHO.

Just my 2¢ worth.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

I'm with you, Tom. It's wrong to do it that way (again, I have been a manager laying people off - even "dangerous" people). The attitude seems to be one of extreme adversarialness: the former employee is now a potential source of damage to the company, and should be removed as quickly as possible before he retaliates.

It just tells more about the corporate mindset than one really wants to know.

- Ed

There were two things about it

that realy upset me.

First, one of the others was a young woman who I had worked with on several projects. There has never been a better employee. Her husband worked for the company also, but he working in the plant. They layed him off last week. And they have a nine month old child, their first. Her layoff REALLY got to me.

The second was that when I got back to my desk to clean it out, my computer was locked. That hurt. But in retrospect, I suppose I can understand their thoughts. As the person that designed and wrote a great deal of their software, I would be in a position to do some real damage. Nevertheless, after fifteen years, it hurt to be treated like a common criminal.

Today was fun though... layed around in bed till 6:30 or so, then made myself a cup of coffee and went out to the shop. Made some sawdust and contemplated the future. I'm going to enjoy this...
    This above all - To thine own self be true. Wm Shakespear - Hamlet

Re: There were two things about it

Originally posted by Ron Taylor
    that realy upset me.

First, one of the others was a young woman who I had worked with on several projects. There has never been a better employee. Her husband worked for the company also, but he working in the plant. They layed him off last week. And they have a nine month old child, their first. Her layoff REALLY got to me.
    Wow...that took chuzpah on their part. Sheesh...

Jim.

Nothing personal, but I'm surpized you find it outrageous, This is standard operating procedure.

I really am not sure whether this american way is better or worse than the european where it's nearly impossible to lay off dead wood.

But I've seen a lot of people who have given of their lives get screwed. A lot of us have been in the situation of having to lay people off. There's nothing wrong with that in itself - it's pragmatics. Except when those layoffs are due to managerial irresponsibility. I'd like to be able to say that such irresponsibility wasn't the usual cause, but in my 30+ years in business, I'd be lying to assert that case.

- Ed

Originally posted by Ed Falis
    Jim.

Nothing personal, but I'm surpized you find it outrageous, This is standard operating procedure.
    My appoligies if I appeared this to be "outragious". I'm pretty familiar with how normal it is. What I was trying to express was something akin to deep disappointment at such upheaval in one family. But it's also one of the dangers for both folks in a family unit working for the same company. (Been there...had it happen, too)