Thread: Sycamore HF

Sycamore HF

This Sycamore HF is from a branch that broke off my neighbors tree several years ago. It measures 6-3/4" diameter and 3-3/4" high with 3/16" walls. I left the bottom @ 1/2" thick just to add a little weight. It's finished with Antique Oil and buffed, although the pictures don't show the gloss.
    All comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

I love spalted sycamore! And, is a joy to turn IMO. I like this form a lot, though I would like it more if the very nice curve of the belly continued into the base without the return foot you have. Nonetheless, nice work on some beautiful wood.

Great wood Rob! This is my favorite shape of the HF's you have posted recently but would agree with John on the curve at the foot. Very pretty and I like the level of gloss you can get with enough coats of AO. Do you remember how many this one took?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Great wood Rob! This is my favorite shape of the HF's you have posted recently but would agree with John on the curve at the foot. Very pretty and I like the level of gloss you can get with enough coats of AO. Do you remember how many this one took?
    Baxter,
    I sanded to 400 grit and applied 6 coats of AO. I lightly sanded with a 1000 grit Abralon pad before the last coat. After the AO cured, I sanded with 2000 and 4000 Abralon then buffed with Menzerna fine compound.
    I'm thinking of getting a Beall buffing setup and am wondering if that would take the place of the 2000 and 4000 grit sanding and compounding.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

That's cool, Scott! It's a killer piece of wood which doesn't hurt! I like these forms with the sharp shoulder, and this is a great form if you ever want to do a footless bottom. The finish is great, too!

Nice contemporary form! Love the wood but also agree with the others on the foot. Only other thing is in the first photo, the background is too close to the form. Remember that shadows are your friend if used correctly and really help to give the form a sense of 3-D.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like that a lot Rob. Very contemporary as Steve mentioned and the wood speaks for itself. I also agree with others about the foot. Keeping it in line with the curve of the belly of the piece all the way to the bottom would be in more of my taste. BUT, if you like it then that's all that matters.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I like that one Rob and the wood is just beautiful. I also agree with the curve.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.