Thread: Raised panel door software

Raised panel door software

Hello everyone, I am looking for a free software program that will generate a cut list of door parts for cabinet doors/drawers. If you are aware of any please post!

Thanks,
    Jack
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

What I have is not Free, but it's very reasonably priced and works well. Only $24.99 from Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/search_result...+software&gb=1

Charley

If you have Excel scripting skills it is pretty easily written.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Jack, make sure your operating system is compatable with the software. The program looks good but it won't run on Vista. For some reason there is no upgrade yet.

I have a door dimensions Excel spreadsheet posted on my website - http://home.roadrunner.com/~jeffnann...hop/Doors2.xls

There is also another fairly popular spreadsheet by Roger Medbery called Just Doors that is posted in many places:
    just one example - http://user.xmission.com/~sherwin/download1.htm. Google to find many more...

A spreadsheet can be modified to suit your needs much more easily than a stand-alone program.
    I've measured three times, cut twice, and it's STILL too short...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Jack, make sure your operating system is compatable with the software. The program looks good but it won't run on Vista. For some reason there is no upgrade yet.
    The software works fine on Windows 7.

Stiles - Total lineal inches * width inches
    Rails - Total lineal inches * width inches
    Panels - Length * width

Add it all up and divide by 144 to get finished square feet.
    Multiply by 130% for scrap/mistakes

There ya go......free software
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Thanks to MOST of you for your suggestions,, the real deal is that though I get the basic gist of the door measurements, I know that its not straight ahead. The rails extend into the stiles, so that length is somewhat longer than face value, and the panels need to be smaller than the groove in the rails and stiles allow, allowing for expansion. So while I am sure that these numbers are simple enough, I am not, at this time, sure exactly what to add or subtract to arrive at the correct dimensions.
    And there you have it!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wilson View Post
    Thanks to MOST of you for your suggestions,, the real deal is that though I get the basic gist of the door measurements, I know that its not straight ahead. The rails extend into the stiles, so that length is somewhat longer than face value, and the panels need to be smaller than the groove in the rails and stiles allow, allowing for expansion. So while I am sure that these numbers are simple enough, I am not, at this time, sure exactly what to add or subtract to arrive at the correct dimensions.And there you have it!

Well you have to know how you want to build the door before thinking about the cutlist. Once you decide on length of tenons, width of rails, tolerance for panels etc the cutlist is easy.

I'm a fan of spreadsheets, as they can easily be modified for different methods of construction. For example, when I build inset doors, I input height and width of faceframe opening, and the spreadsheet calculates all the parts that build a door the height of the opening and 1/16 less width. This gives me a nice size to cut down to the actual opening. When building overlay doors, I like to input in the net size and let the computer give me a door cutlist which produces a door 1/8" bigger to allow for final sizing.

Attached is the basic spreadsheet I use for doors showing the cell formulas. At the beginning of each job I check/update the formulas and then fill them down the sheet. Input your door openings and it does the rest. Not shown are hidden cells which figure total linear feet of stile and rail. The same format can be used for drawer boxes.

If you are not familiar with spreadsheets, consider taking an evening and learn how to do the basics. You will be amazed at how easy they are to learn and how useful they can be for all sorts of things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 12-16-2011 at 8:46 PM.