Thread: BLM Plate + Goodies

BLM Plate + Goodies

Somehow I've found time in between making ornaments to make some random gifts for the steadily incoming Christmas. This will be my first Christmas that I am able to take advantage of my lathe to save myself from having to go shopping for as many gifts. These are just a few of the ridiculous amount of projects I have to finish up in the next week.

This is a Big Leaf Maple dish for my girlfriend's mother. I'm starting to feel the same way about Mike Smith's BLM that a lot of you folks feel about his Claro. It is a dream to turn and finish, and it's very hard to beat the figure in this wood. I've yet to turn a piece with curl and birdseye. This piece has tones of both. It's about 9" x 1.5" and finished with WOP and HUT.
    DSC07324b.jpgDSC07327b.jpgDSC07328b.jpg

This is a Sassafras duck call that will probably end up going to an uncle. Of course, the sassafras was great to smell while turning but that was about the only part worth talking about. The grain is a little bit of a pain to sand smooth...reminds me of some red oak I've turned. This call is probably a little too light in color to go out into the swamp, but I was happy with the form. Finished with 8 layers of CA and wet sanded to 12000.
    DSC07321b.jpg

Last are a set of pens for my great aunt and uncle. These are the second and third pens that I've ever turned and I can certainly see how people get addicted. After a get a little more comfortable with them, I'll be moving to some higher quality pen kits, but these satin Slimlines actually look good and hold up well for the price. I was hoping they would come out with a bit more distinction between the two, as the one on the left is Big Leaf Maple and the right is highly curled Silver Maple. The photo doesn't do the differences in the wood justice, but I would have liked to darken one of them looking back. Finished with 6 layers of CA and HUT.
    DSC07313b.jpg

Thanks for looking guys, and of course, any comments and critiques are welcome! : )

All are nicely done Marty. I especially like the bowl. Very smooth flowing form and heavy and substantial. Beautiful wood.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Love the bowl...right up my alley!!!!

Marty, you are right on the BLM - it is sweet!! Most of what I turn are burls, but I have turned a couple of bowls and it is sweet to turn. Hope to get some platter stock from Mike in January.

Love the bowl! Nice work on the call - sassafras is a pain to work with.

Thanks guys! John, when I went out to see Mike last month, he had just brought in a new load of BLM that had some great figure to it...which only adds to the heap that he already had stocked. For some reason it doesn't seem to fly out the door as fast as you would think wood with that much figure at a crazy price would.

That bowl is going to keep me up tonight Marty...amazing to look at!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Marty, that BLM bowl is fantastic. Really digging it!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

All nicely done Marty and I really like the bowl. The BLM has a lot going on, I can see why you like it!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice group of gifts Marty. I am sure they will be well recieved.

Who is Mike with the BLM?

Very nice work on everything Marty! You are going to make some major points with your girlfriend's mother!! That's usually a good thing!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

that wood is gorgeous..great gaggle of gifts!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe