Thread: CA finish question

CA finish question

I have turned some handles and stained them with oil stain. Can I use a CA finish over the oil? If so, how long should I let the oil cure?

Thanks once again for all of the information & help that you folks have given me.

Joe

From what I understand (and have used in my turnings), CA will go over just about anything. I doubt you need to let the oil cure but I always at least give my pieces a few hours to dry. The neat thing about CA is that it is less a finish for the wood...and more just a thin, hard layer of plastic you put over it.

Burnish in the oil with a paper towel and have at it with the CA process. I use that process a ton on my game calls

+1 for what Ken just said.
    I sometimes use BLO immediately before CA on my pens, sometimes (depending on the wood) moisture can work its way past the oil and cloud the finish, but doesnt happen often. Mostly with cocobola or purpleheart kind of oily woods

I am not sure I would put CA over your oil stain. I use BLO on my handles and burnish it in on the lathe. I tried CA and it just chips up everytime you lay it down or bang it around.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.