Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need reassurance re: holdfasts

Need reassurance re: holdfasts

LOML got me a pair of Gramercy holdfasts for Christmas. I have been looking forward to having a pair of these since I (almost) finished my bench (nearly 4.5" thick). When she wasn't looking, I took one out real quick for a test drive. Of the half dozen or so holes I tried these in (3/4 inch - drilled first with 3/4 router bit, finished last couple inches with a paddle bit), it only kinda worked in one. I whacked 'em pretty hard. Now, I know the website talks about roughening these with sandpaper, or undercutting the bottoms, but I just didn't have the time, as this was a quickly executed covert operation. Is my bench too thick? Can anyone dispel my fears, and assure me that with enough tinkering I can get these to work? Again, I've been really excited to have these.

Thanks -

Jake

2. Hit them with some sandpaper like it says on the website and I would think they will probably work. If not counterbore from the bottom - that will definitely work.

I have a set of the Gramercy holdfasts. In a top about 1-3/4" thick, they work like a charm. I have some other holes (with a rail under them) that are more like 5.5" thick. The holdfasts basically won't grab in those at all. Those were just 3/4" holes and I did not try roughing them up or any other tricks. My guess is that you can improve things some, but it probably won't really be as good as the shallower holes. Another thing you might try (if possible in your case) would be to slightly enlarge the holes over 3/4" inch to give the holdfast more room to wedge. The best thing would probably be to counterbore away the bottom of the holes so that they look shallower to the holdfasts.

If you get them working well in the thick top, let us know what you did that works best.

4. My top is about 5 1/2" thick, and the designated holdfast hole in the middle of the bench is counterbored from the bottom a couple of inches. I frequently use them in the regular dog holes, however, with no issues. Don't be shy about really giving them a good bash to set them in place.

What material is your top? Mine is pressure treated Southern Yellow Pine. Harder wood might not deform and grab as much...

The sandpaper does the trick. I have 3 pairs, and they all needed it (also some had a bit of machine oil residue). My main bench is 4" thick southern yellow pine, my portable bench is 1 3/4" poplar, and my bench-on-bench is 1 3/4" poplar. All have 3/4" dog holes, no undercutting necessary. All it takes is spinning the shank around a few times while wrapped in sandpaper. Then you should be able to bang them in and lift the whole bench off the floor with them. Believe me, they'll work! No more than 60 seconds of tinkering required.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

I'd file some little grooves into the back side of the holdfasts. Myself,I'd use checkering files. You could use files that are for repairing threads. Probably available in auto parts stores. They will make a series of neat grooves for you pretty quickly.

The holdfasts DO have to tilt sideways to bind. A thick bench top won't let them tilt enough. My hand forged hold fast never has had trouble grabbing in my 4" bench tops,but it isn't as smooth as a commercial holdfast.

+1 on the sandpaper and a really good whack. I hate to admit it, but I gave them a coat of wax when I saw some rust spots while waiting to finish my bench. The wax worked great at what it does best - a nice slick surface. Fortunately a couple of sandings took care of it. I still get a kick out of using them - the fact that they are so simple mechanically and work so well.

Paul

The Wood Whisperer interviewed the Schwarz recently about workbenches. One thing covered was holdfasts and top thickness. They talked about how holdfasts really don't work as well in tops over 4" thick. Schwarz recommended couterboring the bottom of the dogholes to effectively reduce top thickness.

I have the Grammercy holdfasts. In my benchtop, which is 4" thick birch, they needed some file work to grab properly. I used a triangular file and, with some quick and dirty filing, cut a few grooves where the shaft is most likely to interact with the benchtop. I also grabbed some 60 grit sandpaper and roughed up the whole shaft. Haven't had one holding problem with them since then.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

My top is 1-3/4 thick and they work great in that.

I'm hardly a neander--mine see their most frequent use when I'm using my Domino but I love them. I keep a pile of small blocks under my bench that I put between the holdfast pad and the workpiece.

Another +1 for the sandpaper. The Gramercy holdfasts work fine in my 4.25" thick top.

Mike

Sandpaper, you can use something very coarse. I've also found that hitting them with a deadblow hammer is much more effective than hitting them with a metal hammer or wooden mallet.

Me too..shot-filled deadblow hammer works really well. The LV cabinetmaker's mallet works pretty well too.

Thanks everyone for the reassurances. I will be sure to take a thorough sanding when "I get" the holdfasts. I haven't yet put any finish on the bench - should I try to avoid oil in the dog holes (i.e., plug 'em up first), or should I turn a 3/4 dowel down a bit, glue sandpaper on it, and rough up the holes after a "caution to the wind" approach to oiling the top? The paddle bit already cut a bit of rifling in some of the holes. The top is walnut, btw.

I'll let everyone know how it worked out (of course with pics). Thanks again -

Jake,

Like has been said you should def rough them up with sandpaper or file small grooves in them. But the best method to get them to really hold is to counter bore the bottom of the holes. I wouldn't be afraid to make the counter bore a good solid 2". You have a very thick top and the counter bore is of no consequence for anything else. You'll be amazed at the holding power of these holdfasts in a thinner looking hole. I wouldn't worry about getting some drips of finish in the holes or anything like that. JUST COUNTER BORE and be done with it.