Thread: Polishing brass for infill planes

Polishing brass for infill planes

I made some infill shoulder planes and I'm not happy with my machinery or procedure for polishing the brass sides. Hopefully someone here can help me improve on the process. I used a 6 x 48 inch woodworking belt sander to grind off the dovetail protrusions and get the sides flat. I was able to work fairly well up through 320 grit but after that I couldn't make any improvement. Using a surface plate and rubbing the planes back and forth will work, of course, but I don't have that long to live. So what is the solution? Different kind of machine? Faster? Slower? Longer? Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Bill W.

Sounds to me like you are ready for some wet sanding to remove the scratches from the 320 grit. Wet sanding, in my oinion, is easier and faster if you soak the paper in mineral spirits or a light machine oil overnight before using. Soapy water will also work and the paper will last much longer if well lubricated. Just keep working with progressively finer grit until the scratches are gone then you can go to the jewelers rouge on a buffing wheel. The only other option that I know of is a rock tumbler but you still have to hand work for a fine polish.
    Hope this helps.

Jim

Bill, I’m afraid there isn’t much alternative to old fashioned elbow grease if you are looking for a mirror type finish on brass. My method is to use a flat surface and wet-sand through all the grits, up to 600 or 800 grit, carefully cleaning after each grit to prevent any cross grit contamination. Then I will usually finger tip polish with a fine metal polish and cotton cloth. I will sometimes use a buffer and white rouge polishing compound but you have to have a light hand, being careful not to generate dips in the metal.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Well, not the answer I was hoping for, but I guess I'll get set up for it and give it a shot. Thanks for the input

I used sand paper up to 400 grit. Then I used some four ought steel wool on any area that needed more attention.
    Then I used the green rouge on a buffing wheel. It was quick and provided a very polished surface.
    If you want to go above that then the elbow grease with some polishing compound ( automotive ) will take it higher but IMO it's not needed and once you use the plane on some hard wood, the normal use will mar the high gloss.

I personally would stop at 320 grit. I think it's a finish that is more pleasing to the eye than a bright polish as long as the scratches are aligned, and if your planes are brass, they will get finger printed and be dark very soon (and you'll grow to like the look of the dark patina).

Dents and dings are going to come along in the sides of it no matter what you do - not deep ones, but little tiny cosmetic nicks every time the plane bumps something. Those things stick out like a sore thumb on a bright polish.