Thread: unusual project..

unusual project..

My dad has a small business cracking pecans. This year he is swamped with all the trees having pecans on them. I made a similar piece to this about 2 weeks ago and it was stolen yesterday.I know who got it and that will be another story for another day. I made a larger handle for this one out of cocobolo and it has a better feel to it. It is used to sweep pecans down a trough to the elevator that dumps them into a separator. The handle is made of purple heart, and has "Doc's Nuthouse" etched into both sides as well as his name. That didn't stop the last one from walking out the door. This has no finish on it and will get a natural pecan oil coating later today. Comments are welcome. Thanks for looking Russell
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a very cool idea! I like that. Sorry about the stolen one, hope that works out alright.

"Natural pecan oil coating" sure sounds appropriate! Nice gift, and I hope the situation with the stolen one resolves favorably.

Well we sure don't see one of those everyday! Nice work Russell! Your Dad is going to love it!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like seeing homemade tools..this one is jazzy & colorful..maybe it's good the last one walked away..this one will stand out & not get lost under a pile of pecans!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Never having seen a 'pecan sweeper', I can't comment on it's versatility, but the form and finish are very nice. I find it tough to get a straight cut like the long handle you have here.
    Hoping it does not also sprout legs.

I have made a few tools with purpleheart (mallets, tool handles, etc.) . It has a good feel to it and it wears really well. Good looking pecan sweep!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

JK I may need you lawyer services when the fellow come back to get more pecans cracked ... It does work good and had some pecan oil rubbed in already.

Leave it to you to come up with such a nutty idea, Russell!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Thats a first for me! How long is it?

Baxter it is a little over 2 feet.

I think the guy that took the first one needs the new one up side his head!!

I'm with Steve but I have to give it to him up between his ......... and then up side the head. I really really really HATE thieves. Bet you couldn't tell.
    Nice you made him another I'm sure he felt bad about the first one.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

So would you call that a nut whacker? Really like the cocobolo grip on it.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome