Thread: Sweet Gum HF

Sweet Gum HF

This is one of the HFs I turned prior to getting the monster articulated arm system. The body is 6" and the finial around 4". After hand hollowing this baby, I'm sure to notice the difference with the monster. The collar is wanlut and the finial ebonized maple. Thanks for looking, critiques as always are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Sweet looking sweet gum!! My personal preference would be to not introduce the third color, but you still did an excellent job with this one! Yes, you will enjoy the Monster rig - a LOT!

I think you did a nice job on the main form, and the wood is really pretty... Not what I think of when I think of sweet gum. The mini HF in the finial seems a bit heavy to me, but that's a preference thing. You'll be banging these out like crazy with that new rig!

Nice shaped form. I would agree with John about the third color and would prefer the collar to be blackened. The finial concept is good, but like David said, the feature portion is a bit heavy looking.

Hollowing with a laser is a whole different experience. Enjoy that new tool!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

That's a very nice hollow form! I like the shape alot but I agree with the others on the finial feature being just a bit heavy, and that you'll soon be cranking them out like crazy!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Hey Steven, fine looking hollow form shape. If you can nail that, the rest you will figure out as has been suggested. I think the shape is nice and flows well with exception to the collar where the flow of the vessel is somewhat broken and then lifts up again, at least as appears in photo.
    If you really like the collars in a different wood, consider not using a finial at all and just having a nice opening or apply a finial with same color as collar.
    The Monster will definitely make the hollowing process more fun and less stressful for you.
    Look forward to seeing more, Happy Holidays!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I think the form is very well done.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I really like the finial. It compliments the form very nicely.