Thread: Roughing gouge suggestion????

Roughing gouge suggestion????

I don't have a roughing gouge. I've done well for a long time without one by using well sharpened, wide bowl gouges. Which dedicated rougher do you folks suggest that won't cost 3 Chevys, a used truck, and 2 meals at a nice restaurant?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I'd go with a I'd go with a Henry Taylor 1" Kryo just to mix things up a bit. The 3/4" Crown is really pricey IMHO, but they have a good rep. Hope Santa is good to you!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Since you mentioned cheap, and I'm all about cheap, I got the 2" monster RG from PSI. I just checked, it runs 42 bucks. Since it's big, it has a lot of fresh edges to use. Less trips to the sharpening station. I can hone it a few times at the lathe keeping the trips down even more. I just got done with a 15" Norfolk pine log..... It really doesn't take off much more wood than a 1" RG, but it has a lot of tool to get a fresh edge. I like it. IMO a roughing gouge is not somewhere to plink your hard earned dollars. There are better places to invest in a high quality tool.

Just my $0.02.

Good point Kyle. Except they take a ton of abuse and need to be of beefier material...just MHO. I think is was my buddy Bill Wyko that had a roughing gouge snap on him...I may be missing some details...but that's the last place you want to see something fail. I'd opt for a little more beef and spend a little more $$...but not two fancy dinners worth!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    I've been using the Glaser 15V to do turnings from beginning to end. It stays sharp from beginning to end as well. I had a Crown Pro PM snap in 2 on me. The tool was only 1-1/4" into the handle. I was shocked to see that. The Glaser has a weighted handle and a rock solid tool. I know they're pricy but if you break a tool, you'll be down and waiting for a replacement. Crown did replace it but I waited quite a while for it to come from England. The Glaser is 100% made in the USA and Paulo has really strived to make the best tools in the industry. I just ordered another one, I have a 10V on the way. I'm going to put an Elsworth grind on it.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 12-21-2011 at 6:49 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Doug Thompson has one right now, but it may cost you part of one chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Since you mentioned cheap, and I'm all about cheap, I got the 2" monster RG from PSI. I just checked, it runs 42 bucks. Since it's big, it has a lot of fresh edges to use. Less trips to the sharpening station. I can hone it a few times at the lathe keeping the trips down even more. I just got done with a 15" Norfolk pine log..... It really doesn't take off much more wood than a 1" RG, but it has a lot of tool to get a fresh edge. I like it. IMO a roughing gouge is not somewhere to plink your hard earned dollars. There are better places to invest in a high quality tool.

Just my $0.02.
    Me too, the only problem we have with it, is that is the go-too roughing gouge for both the wife and I, and we only have ONE
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I've had a friend break one too close to me--too far off the tool rest. most tool companies do not recommend their use on bowls as the 45deg grind is really intended for rounding spindles. i have 2 roughing gouges but ground back to 70 deg and they really rip off green wood on bowls. with this grind they are very difficult to get a catch.---------old forester

Just to be sure, we are talking about spindle roughing gouges here, right? If so, my currently preferred SRG is my 1.5" Sorby. But I don't use it that often, frankly. I will more often just grab my 3/4" Thompson bowl gouge, which is usually faster anyway. If I have a rough log or something that needs some serious hogging down, I will often use my homemade easy rougher. For a strictly spindle roughing gouge, pretty much any 3/4" or 1.5" gouge on the market will do.

I use a P&N spindle roughing gouge. It isn't too expensive (under $100, anyway). It has a hefty round tang and appears well made.

P&N roughing gouge not that bad in price and works great. inch and a quater I think

I like my P & N roughing gouge. Rather hefty and not a bad price.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

While I would have liked to get the Thompson version (I do own several of his other tools), I opted to purchase the D-way 3/4" version recently. It is about a third of the price of the Thompson (and smaller), and its really nice. I have seen and felt the Thompson SRG and it is an awesome tool, but the D-way seemed fill my need right now.

14. I have a Crown pro 1.25" roughing gouge.........it has served me well............keeps a pretty good edge, and I have the corners ground back just a bit on either side..........that helps eliminate catches.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!