Thread: Double Bass (Upright Bass) Advice

Double Bass (Upright Bass) Advice

I was hoping to speak to someone who has built a classical acoustic double bass to speak to or perhaps you can refer me to someone or a website. I am considering building one of these beasts for myself but my local college only offers luthier classes in guitars, violins and perhaps a cello.

Thanks,

Kevin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kevin Davis
    Carmel Group

Kevin,
    I have not built one but I have repaired an awful lot of them. Construction of all members of the Viol family are essentially the same, just progressively larger. If you can build a violin, viola or cello you can build an upright bass. Voicing is a bit of a trick however. Lots of good info here:http://www.gollihurmusic.com
    Last edited by Jim Creech; 12-13-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added Link

Thanks Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kevin Davis
    Carmel Group

Kevin, I'm a bass maker. The technology is very similar, so if you can do some coursework in cello making you will be on your way. There are two books you might want to have a look at: So You Want to Make a Double Bass, by Chandler, and also Henry Wake's book. Neither will make you into a super pro overnight, but there is lots of usable info within. The best advice I can give you is to learn how to cuss in a foreign language.