Thread: On-off switch for 14 inch bandsaw?

Blog Entries

On-off switch for 14 inch bandsaw?

I have a Taiwanese 14 inch bandsaw. The on off switch is broken. When I push the green start button the motor starts but it won't stay on – as soon as I stop pressing the button the motor turns off.

I've taken the switch apart and cleaned it as best I can and it worked intermittently for a while and now the problems back it won't stay on.

Any suggestions about where I could buy a new switch? I'm not really sure what type/model etc. switch I should ask for. Is it enough to tell the supplier what machine the switche Is for, or is there some kind of part number etc. I need?

Thanks I appreciate the advice.
    All best, Mike

Maybe a dumb question, but does it run alright if you bypass the switch? if so, any switch that will handle the amperage should work. My Dewalt GWI RAS currently has a light switch hooked up to it and it works. I'm guessing a past owner installed that to get around the malfunctioning switch on the motor housing.

If it is indeed the switch I would start looking at the Grizzly 14" bandsaws and see if something visually matches that would probably be your best bet UNLESS the saw is a Jet, PM or Delta which you may actually be able to get the exact part for.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Jerome has my first question. It would be a bother to buy and install the new switch only to find out it is something with the motor. Bypass with a jumper, plug in and if everything runs right, +1 on Griz for a nice switch, the BORG for raw function.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Jerome has my first question. It would be a bother to buy and install the new switch only to find out it is something with the motor. Bypass with a jumper, plug in and if everything runs right, +1 on Griz for a nice switch, the BORG for raw function.
    I'm embarrassed to be so dumb about electrical work; how do I "bypass" the faulty switch to ensure the motor is working correctly?

Thanks, Mike

Since it runs fine if he holds the switch, the switch is mechanically failed, it s
    doesn't latch in the closed position. There's nothing wrong with his motor.

A new switch is required, something with a suitable HP rating.

Grizzly apparently have good parts stores, order one from them.................Rod.

P,S. Something like this should work if it fits in the original box.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/110-...f-Switch/H8238
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 12-12-2011 at 6:28 PM. Reason: Added Post Script

Grizzly has a lot of switches, it all depends on what type you have.

You can go here and look at them.
    http://www.grizzly.com/search/search...19913581102656

Rockler has one also that should work fine. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=switch