Thread: Big Wood

Big Wood

Hello,

I am new to wood turning and harvesting wood. I have an opportunity to get wood from a 20' length of log that is about 22" in diameter. The log is on a concrete parking lot. The problem is, is that I don't have the experience to know how to cut sections of wood from the log and not tear up my chain saw blade. In other words, I can get a cut to near the bottom of the log without hitting the concrete, but the log is too heavy to roll so that I can cut all the way through it to get section(s) I want. This really is the same for me with a log laying on the ground. How do you harvest wood off of big logs that can't be moved and not tear up the chain saw blade?

Dan

I've never done that exactly, but one thing I have done is to use a very basic tool to move really heavy things, and that tool is a lever and fulcrum. I don't know if it would work with such a large object, but if you take a long 2 x 4 or 2 x 6, taper one end of it so that you can get in under the log, then place a block of wood for the fulcrum near the log, and get a friend to get on the other end of your lever and apply force downward - it might be enough to lift the log enough to slide something under it, and give some clearance from the ground so that you can finish a chains saw cut without hitting the pavement. Start at one end of the log, and if it works, then just repeat as often as necessary as you work toward the other end of the log. Obviously you do not want to get any body parts under the log as you place the spacer. An 8 foot lever gives you a lot of...well...leverage. If it doesn't work, you won't be out much except a little time, and you will have a nice lever for use another time. Keep us posted, and what kind of wood is it?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Make your cut and stop with a few inches shy of pavement, roll the log and finish your cut...alot easier on a hard surface. Make a several cuts so you can finish cut and move the log less. Even in the woods or on dirt you do not want a finish cut where the saw blade contacts the ground in any way. If you need, cut the log in 1/2 or thirds before making the first finish cuts so you will instantly have smaller sections to work with. That size log is 5 minutes work to section.

Oh, it will roll! Like Dan said, you just have to apply the right leverage.

If you have a length of pipe or long bar, you could roll it back and forth to cut it up. The first cut might be dead center to cut the weight in half immediately and make it easier to roll thereafter.

2' x 20' you could roll using a crowbar or two. Just jam it in the middle and work the crowbar. Have a wood block or two to chock it as you roll it.

If you want a professional log rolling tool check out:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HD4LV4?...equipment.html
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

The peavey is a must have tool if one cuts any size of logs. I never even cut firewood without at least one. You can roll very big logs with one of these if it has a long handle.
    Jack

It should have a gap somewhere along the length you could slide or drive a piece/strip of plywood under. Then you could cut through without hitting pavement and get it into more manageable lengths to roll. You'll probably still need a lever so take that as well.

Dan,
    leverage is your friend and to add an option.If you cannot get under the log at first ,nail a 2x4 or 2x6 to the end using double head concrete form nails.Roll it and then block it in that position.To protect your chain if your on asphalt roll it onto a junk piece of plywood that is placed to be under your cutline.That way if you go through you hit the sacrificial plywood.
    Greg

A cant hook or peavey is right handy. Mine is from logrite and is wonderful.

Also, you can cut most of the way through a log and then put a wedge (steel, plastic or wood) and then hit it with a maul or whatever you have handy, like a smaller piece of wood and it will likely pop right open at which point you can quarter it with the chainsaw and repeat the splitting maneuver if you need to.

A bag full of wooden wedges, a couple of steel wedges, and a splitting maul are a turners best friend when working with big yard trees. As an example, I hit metal (a metal detector is on my wish list) about 1/4 of the way through a log the other day, so I just put a wedge in it, and split it open to finish it so I could load it onto my truck and deal with it later.

I have to agree with the cant hook/peavey. I have moved some pretty big logs with one and is a must have if cutting wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

IF all else fails - take some friends with you to help roll the log! Then they can help load the wood also!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I will second the peavey hook, it is the right way to go. When I get a log that is too big for my peavey hook I will drive my splitting gernade into the side and attach a chain to it and pull with my small tractor. My tractor is only 1400 pounds but I have rolled logs up to 46" diameter.
    Good luck,

Dave

Like Steve said, get some friends. That really helps, and besides, that is more wood than most can use in a year. Do take care when cutting through. The log will have low and high spots, and if you cut 80% through, the saw blade can get pinched. That is where wedges come in handy. Wood, plastic are best as they won't dull your chain. Metal works as well.

robo hippy

Blog Entries
    I'd sugest driving some wedges under it cut from 2x4 scraps, then let the end that off the concrete fall to the ground after cutting through it.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Yep, you need a log wrench. (peavey)
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.