Thread: The astonishing generosity of "creekers"

The astonishing generosity of "creekers"

To date, I have been the beneficiary of the kindness of no fewer than five individuals who out of nothing more than sheer generosity, have sent me beautiful pieces of turning stock. And it would seem that there are several others who will shortly be added to this list.

Now I sure don't want to sound like I'm "singing poor mouth" here because I am not. But the reality is that my family has, for the last several years, been working to "grow" a business that has been almost totally financed with our own money. Right now, this business is at "critical mass" which means that it is on the verge of going "viral" which will be a good thing. But at the same time, it also means that it will need even more money, work and dedication to push it that last little bit up the hill and over the crest. As the guy said in the movie, "Failure is not an option, People!"

This leaves me with extremely limited resources for things like buying wood and extremely limited time for turning and enjoying the company of fellow turners on the internet. So I treasure the time I do get and I value every piece of material I get my hands on.

I just want to say that I am amazed, once again, by the willingness of the people on this forum to share not only their time and expertise but their wood as well. I believe I have thanked everyone who has sent me wood but it always seems to be too little. There is no way for me to express the gratitude I feel. I only hope that I will be able to reciprocate soon. Maybe I'll just have to start sending out turnings!
    David DeCristoforo

David,

"Creekers" and turners in general are some of the greatest most generous people there are. I have also benefited from the generosity of people here at "The Creek" and turners all over the country. I understand what you are going through. Being involved in the Real Estate industry I saw my income cut in half in 2008 and slowly have been working my way back up but it has been tough. I have been fortunate that I have been able to sell some stuff over the last couple of years which my wife lets me put back into the turning as she knows that I enjoy it so much.

I always try to treat people as I want to be treated. Karma can go a long way for all of us. David, You are a good person and have a good personality that is what makes you a valuable member of this forum and society.

Alan

Creekers and turners in general......extremely generous!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have never met a more generous group than Creekers and other turners, even the turning vendors are a special group of people.
    I think it all comes from the enjoyment we get from turning and wanting to share that enjoyment with others, be it their time and expertise, their latest masterpiece, their wood and even their hospitality, and in DD's case, his wit and banter!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Yep, great folks in general and more then willing to help in any way feasible. I wish I could do more for turners, however with the economy struggling in my field of work, its hard for me to keep the saws fueled up and cutting for my own needs. Thankfully i'm only a 15 second walk from more wood then most could ever turn. Offer is always open for anyone needing wood from me and I will help every step of the way. I have a blank heading to Keeton and I will see how shipping it works out but I would do all I can for those in need. I figured out that the new anchorseal sucks and have the original here now so i'm more confident in sealing and sending out wood.

DD, when I sent you wood, the only thing I expected was for you to do it justice on the lathe. You did that, and we are more than even. Your contributions here go far beyond wood exchanges. The idea in giving is to see it passed forward in whatever manner the recipient is capable of doing. You fulfilled your part of the deal.

David - happy to hear that you are on the receiving end because it gives me something to look forward too! Love your work! Best of luck with the business!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

David --- Good luck with the business venture, if it's still growing in this economy, that's a good sign. Glad that choice pieces have found their way to your door.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome