Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum Chuck Drums

Pretty cool looking set of drums, Alan! DD mentioned using wood for this, and I'd recommend trying the Aussie burls if somebody wants to give it a go... I've done a bit of hand chasing, and the Aussie burls work better than anything else I've tried. I used red mallee, but I'm sure many of the others would work as well. It's not quite as stunning as Alan's resin, but not much else is!

Impressive work on creating your drums!! The colorful threaded adapter is really cool looking and a great way to use up leftover resin! Nice work Alan!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Those are some very nice adapters. To thread those and make sure they were on center, did you use a large tap, or do you have access to a metal lathe with a lead screw?

I just used a tap. To make sure they were concentric is I drilled and tapped the resin in my chuck and made sure I had a true face to register on the spindle. Then I just screw it onto the spindle and then turn the outside to to the needed dimension and it is accurate at that point.

Alan

Nice work Alan. The wider rims look great. Lots of times I have wished my PVC ones had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    I just used a tap. To make sure they were concentric is I drilled and tapped the resin in my chuck and made sure I had a true face to register on the spindle. Then I just screw it onto the spindle and then turn the outside to to the needed dimension and it is accurate at that point.

Alan
    Like Bill said you could make some money off these. I'd gladly buy (well assuming the price isn't too crazy ) a few in 1x8 thread since I don't have a tap for that size to make one.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Very nice Alan. I made mine with mdf and cut a groove to mount a straight fitting. yours look much better. I like the rim treatment too. After using mine a while I made one by laminating the thread block to a large (12") flat disk with a small hole in the center. I then dished the face about 1/4" and covered it with the craft foam. works well where the rim would be too close in size to a fittings. I had one bowl crack wide open when the pipe fitting fit just inside the bowl and there was a small, unnoticed crack in the rim. Your 'fat rims' may help prevent that problem some too.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks for all the kind compliments. As far as making chucks to sell was not really in my plan however Let me see how the threads holdup over a little while in real life use. So far so good but you never know. What I might do is make some per-threaded resin billets that others could use for to make their own chucks which in my mind would make a lot more sense.

Thanks,

Alan