Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Further Exploriation Suspended....time for a break

Still like the sundae...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    OBTW.....how did you finish the box elder. it looks like marble! did you do any bleaching or dyeing ect. really cool job.----------old forester
    Robert, I used Deft rattle can lacquer. Three coats. I let it cure and buffed with White Diamond and Carnuba on the lathe.
    I turn, therefore I am

I'm not crazy about the stick, but then I kind of like it as well. I've played around a bit with sticks and such for finials, ans there are a couple of things about them that have given me fits. First, it's hard to attach them without making them look 'stuck on', and secondly, they're difficult to 'center' on the piece visually. Any tips from the group about either of those issues would be much appreciated.

I think the part that bothers me the most is the foot... I don't think this piece needs it with the great looking curve you've done! I'm a known footaphobe, so take that with a grain(or block) of salt.

Your last few posts have really generated some interesting comments and critiques... Thanks for that!

Mulino, Oregon, US (thirty miles South of Portland)
    Blog Entries
    +1 with Mike Cruz there. The sundae was the tops in my book.
    There's nothing like a smooth running day in the shop.........at least at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I'm not crazy about the stick, but then I kind of like it as well. I've played around a bit with sticks and such for finials, ans there are a couple of things about them that have given me fits. First, it's hard to attach them without making them look 'stuck on', and secondly, they're difficult to 'center' on the piece visually. Any tips from the group about either of those issues would be much appreciated.

I think the part that bothers me the most is the foot... I don't think this piece needs it with the great looking curve you've done! I'm a known footaphobe, so take that with a grain(or block) of salt.

Your last few posts have really generated some interesting comments and critiques... Thanks for that!
    David, I know were you are coming from. I was struggling with the same thing. How do you attach something totally foreign that works. I see all the pics from others that do it. Too be honest I haven't figured it out yet. I, for some reason, all of a sudden I got sort of tired of all the "traditional tops" I have done in the past. As to the posts on various forums the ideas are all over the board. It certainly has generated a lot of dicussion....I love it. Not all "atta boy" comments in my direction. That is what I wanted. Everything everybody said will make me THINK. Mission accomplished. I hope it continues.
    I turn, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Fox View Post
    +1 with Mike Cruz there. The sundae was the tops in my book.
    Yea Betty, but you are a sundae lover. If I glued that top to a rock you would be looking for a spoon
    I turn, therefore I am

Dick - I applaud all your efforts in creating a variety of finials! I usually turn one and then am ready for the next HF!

This particular finial does not work for me. Other than the color, it doesn't offer anything complimentary to the Box Elder or the lid for that matter. I don't know if it is the extended length, the way the finial is attached to the lid or exactly what... Maybe its just that I am used to the more traditional/golden means type of work. Then again, I am not an art expert and this may be a huge hit at galleries!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I am bucking the trend here but I like the finial. I agree with David about the foot, it does not quite fit with the form.

One thing to concider Dick, is that you shouldn't try to "force" creativity. Your inspiration will show up when you least expect it. You should jot it down on paper so you won't forget and once you start making your inspirations.....set them out of your own view for several days and then look at them again. You will know what works (mostly) and definitely know what isn't working at all.

I experiement all the time and a lot of the time I was "just do it and display it". That worked great to get people discussing it, but most of the time those pieces didn't work (part of the problem with "on the lathe" design). Now I still experiment, but a lot of the experiments get trashed and noone sees them. Ones that I am either unsure of or happy with, make it onto SMC for you all to critique.

This one doesn't work for me. Not because of the use of the stick, but because of the holder and the length of the stick and possible shape of the stick. The experiment could and should continue. Don't get frustrated, just keep experimenting.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I just want to know how ya turned the finial.......
    Beautiful wood and finish.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Dick, while I applaud you efforts in experimentation, this one does not catch my fancy, but did get me thinking. I was wondering what it would look like without the collar altogether, and if the stick was attached to the bottom of the HF, so I did a little crude playing with photoshop and came up with the following. If nothing else, just another idea that is worth what you paid for it.boxelder.jpg

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by steven carter View Post
    Dick, while I applaud you efforts in experimentation, this one does not catch my fancy, but did get me thinking. I was wondering what it would look like without the collar altogether, and if the stick was attached to the bottom of the HF, so I did a little crude playing with photoshop and came up with the following. If nothing else, just another idea that is worth what you paid for it.boxelder.jpg

Steve
    Sorry I missed your response the first time. Thanks for PM. Ya know, I just plain never thought about doing something like this. I really think you are on to something. I have never seen a HF with this type of embellishment. Thanks. Now the headache will return
    I turn, therefore I am

I like the form and the wood is very pretty Dick. I am not very imaginative so the finial doesn't give me a thrill.

Blog Entries
    Ultimately you wil never know if you don't try. Personally, (pause to think) I'm on the fence with the finial but the vessel is beautiful.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.