Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finned Mini Vase

Thanks for the comments. The tool I use to pierce is a NSK Presto ultra high speed carver, which works easier with thinner walls. When applying the Ren wax I rubbed the paper towel around in the wax and then smoothed it around on the towel with my finger before I rubbed into the piece. There was a little bit in a few holes but a blast with the air hose fixed that!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Scott,

I really like the form and the piercing. The shape is different yet I really like it. No jeers from me well done.

Alan

Very cool and unique! Somebody is gonna love this thing in a serious way! Still working on getting your walls thin, huh? Keep that up and your pieces are gonna collapse under the weight! Really, really nice!

That is a unique piece Scott. I really like the piercing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking form. Excellent work on the piercing.

How often do you turn each week? You seem to post quite a few items each week. Keep them coming.

I like it, I like it...

what is it?

I love the way this pierced work is framed by the margins. It's perfect and delicate...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by John M. Smith View Post
    Great looking form. Excellent work on the piercing.

How often do you turn each week? You seem to post quite a few items each week. Keep them coming.
    John, I have been spending a lot of time in the shop here lately. I have carpal tunnel surgery scheduled for Friday and have been hurrying to get done a few Christmas presents and a few other distraction pieces that I had already started and I wanted to get completed before the re-coop time.

Normally I don't turn but a couple times a week. There is just too much going on between work and our rental properties and family and other projects.

It has been nice to get a lot of lathe time, but I am getting wore out! A couple more icicles for ornaments and maybe a couple more smaller projects and I will be off the lathe for a while.

Thanks for the additional comments.
    -------
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I like it, I like it...

what is it?

I love the way this pierced work is framed by the margins. It's perfect and delicate...
    Dunno? Thats why I titled it Finned Mini Vase! I guess it is art because it serves no real purpose but to hold and look at! Thanks
    -------
    -------

That is a beautiful Finned Mini Vase Scott! Really nice job on the piercing and the shape is cool. Sorry, I don't have any nits to pick, constructive or otherwise . Someone is in for a nice surprise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    There was a little bit in a few holes but a blast with the air hose fixed that!
    I'd be a little worried that the blast would blow it apart!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

And my address is........
    How about a pic or five about the piercing. That really looks great, and I would like to see the process.
    What kind of bit did ya use. I have a die grinder that might be able to do that (if I was good enough).
    Good luck on the carpal fix. We don't want any pics on that.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill White; 12-12-2011 at 3:24 PM.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Excellent design, I like the effect created by the un-pierced band near the bottom that matches width of the rim. The only thing I'm not sure of is the more 1:1 ratio of things rather then something closer to 1:2, but given the hood effect you were working on, you may not have had much choice, I am struggling to visualize what it would look like with the narrow point a bit higher or lower.

Very nice, great job on the piercing, not sure wher the "fins" come in, but don't know what I would call it that works any better. I know it's utilitarian, but I think it would be very nice to hold the pens, mechanical pencils, erasers, markers etc on my desk ()just in case you don't know what to do with it
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Thanks, all. This has been shipped out to the surprise recipient and hopefully they will get it on Thursday. Now....back to finishing Christmas ornaments and a few more gifts. (insert cracking whip sound here)
    -------
    -------

Wow - a very unique and terrific shape but the piercing is over top. Spectacular uniformity in the thickness of the remaining webs. Just love this one.

Neat design Scott. The crickets definitely wont stay in this one!