Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's a good natural food safe oil that won't go rancid

what's a good natural food safe oil that won't go rancid

I've got a large bowl that I need to put some protection on but intend it to be used with food so I'm looking for an oil that won't go rancid. Other information: can't get pure tung oil in australia (at least not unless I pay a fortune for it) and I pretty sure mineral oil isn't available either. Got any suggestions

I have used a walnut oil and beeswax mix for a few salad bowls and it worked quite well. Not sure if the walnut oil you would find in a grocery store would be good for this...I got oil that was meant as a wood finish.

Mineral oil.

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.
    Either Mike Mahoney's Walnut Oil (available from most major on-line/mail order catalogs) or a nut oil based finish called "Preserve" are what I would recommend. I got the "Preserve" from Hut Products and I believe that Packard sells it as well. Both good stuff.

You can use most any finish including varnish. Just make sure it has cured before contacting food

check a health food store for walnut oil.

I have used walnut oil (from grocery store) but there is that slight nut allery issue. I use mineral oil from the grocery store . It is in the pharmacy section.(mineral oil from a veterinary is better and usually cheeper)
    But as Prashum said ALL finish is food safe once it has FULLY cured.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

8. I would think that Behlen's salad bowl finish would be a good way to go........I have a can.......just have not had a chance to use it as of yet.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I use Mahoneys walnut oil on most of my utility items and have not had a problem or complaint of food allergies. I also use polymerized tung oil and antique oil on some with no complaints. I tried the salad bowl finish and after a 2 or 3 yrs it started to get gummy so quit using it. We use our bowls and plates almost everyday.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have used mineral oil on spoons, spatulas and other turned items meant for use with food. Works great, is cheap and is easy to reapply.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I have used mineral oil on spoons, spatulas and other turned items meant for use with food. Works great, is cheap and is easy to reapply.
    +1 on this. The key being the ease of re-applying. Anything you use will deteriorate with use, but it just takes a minute to wipe a little mineral oil back on with a paper towel.

Olive Oil does not go rancid. If you want a build up mix it with Bees wax.
    Good Luck,

Dave

In a double boiler I melt beeswax and mix it with about 1/3 food grade mineral oil I get a the local grocery store. Easy to apply and food safe. This finish gives a really soft touch and makes the items really nice to hold.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    In a double boiler I melt beeswax and mix it with about 1/3 food grade mineral oil I get a the local grocery store. Easy to apply and food safe. This finish gives a really soft touch and makes the items really nice to hold.
    Peter, I like your method. many predissolved bees waxes contain turpentine. Yuk!
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Great Larry and I like your method of making a bowl. At one time I was doing some wood and soapstone carving and I did as you suggest. I just removed the parts that were not part of bear or whatever!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .