Thread: Craftsman Tape Measure. Now vintage tape measure.

Craftsman Tape Measure. Now vintage tape measure.

Had a friend go to get a new Craftsman tape measure under warranty. Craftsman no longer makes a tape measure. The sales clerk replaced the old Craftsman with a Stanley but told him the Stanley does not have the warranty.

Guess the returns got to be too much for Sears. I knew of a guy who picked up used Craftsman tools at yard sales just to turn them in for new. He then sold new in box at flea markets. Not only did Sears get hit with the warranty replacement but also lost another new sale to the guy who purchased at Flea Market vs in Sears store.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

It's the people that abuse the lifetime replacement policies which causes them to cease.

One tool guy at my sears told me that contractors would come in with buckets full of tape measures that were worn out and get them replaced.

I can remember seeing tradesmen in Sears with a pocket full of dead tapes for return. Crap in-crap out.
    Sears----- oh well...........
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

The numbering flaked off of one of mine and they would not replace it unless it physically broke.... I pitched it and purchased Pro Carpenter tape measures by fastcap (http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...?idCategory=12)

I have about a dozen Kobalt tape measures and have been very happy with them. I have had about 6 or 8 replaced under warranty for things like the magnets falling out which makes the ends less rigid and the tape not retracting anymore. I will keep buying more because they work well. And as far as lost sales due to returns under warranty....every time I have gone in to get a tape replaced I spent at least 100 that trip on other stuff. Knowing that I can come in and swap tools easily means I will keep buying more kobalt tools as I need them. The economics work out.

I have a couple of Craftsman tapes from the 70's and I like them. When I was in high school I worked in a sheet metal shop and would occasionally shear off the hook. I'd go to Sears and buy replacement blades for the cast housing. Recently I went to Sears to look for a replacement blade and, like you, found they were no longer being sold.

If he got the standard Stanley Powerlock tape, he basically got himself a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    If he got the standard Stanley Powerlock tape, he basically got himself a lifetime warranty.
    Funny, I bought a bunch of these and they all have been pretty lousy. They seem to lock up for no apparent reason, while still in almost new condition. Seems like you have to buy a boutique brand to get a reliable tape these days.

As far as the Sears thing goes, I could imagine that in this economy, loss leaders are just a bad idea. people are a whole lot less likely to make a purchase just because they happen to be in the store to replace a tape. Kudos to Sears for holding to that policy as long as they did. I recently saw a certain large cellular provider squelch on a contract the day after it was signed. On top of that they were rather rude and unapologetic about it.

I don't know whose got it worse old timers who have to lament the loss of customer appreciation or us younger guys who never will know it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I don't know whose got it worse old timers who have to lament the loss of customer appreciation or us younger guys who never will know it.
    Bringing in a bucket full of tape measures is borderline abuse of the warranty policy and is not even remotely related to customer appreciation. I never considered Craftsmen tools to be professional or tradesmen quality. One distinction between a DIYer and a professional is that the professional seldom can justify the false economy of an inexpensive tool. Craftsmen tools are not the least expensive tools available, but compared to Mac or Snap-On they are a bargain. And for the apprentice they are a good starting point. The journeymen, not so much.

For the average joe that just needs a decent quality tool for the occasional or even frequent project, Craftsmen tools are fine.

Can't say I blame Sears for dropping the warranty on their tape measures.
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 12-10-2011 at 1:58 PM.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Bringing in a bucket full of tape measures is borderline abuse of the warranty policy.
    What difference does it make if someone buys one and breaks it or if they buy 10 and they all break? Each one of them was purchased with the same warranty. If they didn't sell so much junk they wouldn't have to deal with so many returns.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    What difference does it make if someone buys one and breaks it or if they buy 10 and they all break? Each one of them was purchased with the same warranty. If they didn't sell so much junk they wouldn't have to deal with so many returns.
    Who says the tools were junk? We have a couple of old Craftsman tap measures at work. They've seen better days for sure, but they still work just fine. They have not been used in the elements or dusty, dirty places. They experience light duty.

If the tapes are so bad why do they keep buying them? Seems to be someone making a living from their craft or trade would not rely on junk tools.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Who says the tools were junk? We have a couple of old Craftsman tap measures at work. They've seen better days for sure, but they still work just fine. They have not been used in the elements or dusty, dirty places. They experience light duty.

If the tapes are so bad why do they keep buying them? Seems to be someone making a living from their craft or trade would not rely on junk tools.
    I'd wager a guess that the contractors that were buying them by the bucket full were doing so because the hired help don't give a rats toot how they treat them. So when they did break, they just took them back and got a new one. I don't care how well made something is, if it's not treated with care it won't last. I can imagine tape measures being thrown around the jobsites, rolling off roofs, dropped, kicked, you name it, worse than most any other tool.