Thread: A few pics of recent work

A few pics of recent work

I decided to post a few pics here of some recent work. The honey dippers are for the ladies of the 2 clinics I work in. I started beekeeping this summer and wound up with 45 pounds of honey. Way more than I expected. So I decided to give each of the ladies a pottery honey pot (by local potters, not me) a jar of honey and a dipper. I wanted a little different dipper than the standard and found the bees butt design online. I liked the shape and loved the name, so shamelessly robbed both.
    Beebutt.jpg
    The platter below is from some leftover wood that I had after building my daughter a blanket chest for her wedding this summer. It is a gift for the happy couple for xmas and is 15" x 18" x 1.25". English Oak.
    EnglishOak.jpg
    The piece below is the latest in my diatom series. It is actually a Radiolarian, which is a protozoan zooplankton, not a diatom. Both, however, have an silica skeleton that has some incredible detail and structure when viewed with a scanning electron microscope. Macassar Ebony, 3.75" x 6"
    Radiolarian.jpg
    Radiolarian4.jpg

Hi Mike, I have seen on other site but never get tired of looking at them again and again
    I turn, therefore I am

I also saw those and they are still beauties. That platter is just gem.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Only on SMC can one get great turnings AND a zoology lesson!! Great work on all of them, but particularly the Radiolarian! Excellent detailing, and beautiful wood!

Mike - beautiful work - as always! Congrats on your WOW cover honors! Well deserved! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mike,

Absolutely awesome work... I could stare at that English Oak platter for hours. The Radiolarian has to be one of the coolest things I think I've seen turned... outstanding stuff.

I always love your Diatoms. Spectacular. This one is my favorite (so far).
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum