Thread: How to Connect and Cut Out Cursive Words

How to Connect and Cut Out Cursive Words

Any ideas on how to create, connect, and thicken cursive words in Corel X5 to cut out the entire word? Can I use different fonts or is there only one that works?
    Thanks!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt
    Corel Draw x5
    Rotary Attachment
    Windows 7

I believe there are a couple of approaches I have seen people use. One is to reduce the spacing between letters and merge the letters together (I believe Corel calls it welding?).

My approach isn't purely text, but it allows me to use ANY font and get a similar result. I use Illustrator instead of Corel, but I think the premise is the same.

What I do is to use whatever font I (or the client) prefers. I get the spacing right by working with the font characteristics like kerning, etc. Once I have what I roughly want, in Iillustrator I create a thin outline around the entire word(s) that I want to cut out. This outline is what joins the words, not necessarily overlapping the font letters. This allows me to include things like accents and punctuation.

In terms of the actual technique - in Illustrator the outline is created by using the "offset path" tool. I think the equivalent in Corel is called the contour tool. I wish I could offer you step by step instructions for the Corel tool, but again I use illustrator.

Good Luck and I hope this helps,
    Dewey

Hi Jimmy;
    Really fairly simple if you realize that script fonts are just like block fonts, each letter is an individual object.
    Change your text to Artistic text-under Arrange break Artistic text-this converts a sentence into individual words-remove any you wish and move remaining words together
    Pick a word-click break Artistic text again-this breaks the word into letters-remove any letter you want and realign remaining letters.
    Pick a letter-remove fill by selecting letter and then left click on no color block on color palette
    Select letter-under Arrange click on convert to curves
    Now you can manipulate nodes comprising letter as you wish
    Good luck
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

There may be an easier way. Type the text then with the shape tool select the text and highlight the little boxes on the letters you want to connect and move them. You can also select the boxes and use the arrow keys to move the letters.

There are a number of script fonts in Corel and almost all connect except for the first letter. You can convert that to curves and add a connecting line if needed.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yeah, you want to create a stencil design. Maybe ... Right?????

i create a rectangle in CorelDraw. This is your "Bridge" which connects your "holes" to their surrounding, like the hole in an "a". decide on top to bottom or left to right but stay consistent.

I put the Bridge (duplicate) over the areas in the "a" which keeps the cutout portion connected. I then use the "Weld" or the "Merge top to bottom" or whatever to get the outline of the letter to merge with the bridge to create an outline that contains the merger part - the internal "islands" of the letter.

You create an alphabet doing this and the you cut and paste letter from the alphabit after you "Convert to Curves" on the text with the bridges.

There are stencil fonts out there but they are usually not good for lasering because the "bridges" are too thin after the laser claims its width.

If you want to cut around a cursive font, then contour is your friend.
    Legend 24EX, Amaya (Big Red), Server Farm, PBX System Integrator, (5) Shopsmith Mark VII's. Smithy metal 3-1, anything old and grey I will think about buying. " I learn from failure - I learn everyday, but only fail when I refuse to learn."

Artwelder

Artwelder does a great job on any text you want to merge it takes maybe 10 seconds to push the buttons and get it done. So if you have a lot to do might be worth the cost.graphic.cdr
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Thanks, so much, for all of the responses! I got it to work and got the work out the door! Thanks!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt
    Corel Draw x5
    Rotary Attachment
    Windows 7