Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives in the shop..

markus shaffer Guest

Pocket knives in the shop..

Was wondering how many of us here carry a pocket knife in the shop and use it as an everyday tool? If so, what do you use?

-Markus

Blog Entries

Pocket Knife

I've carried a Buck #303 pocket knife for years. It gets used in the shop from time to time since it is nearly always in my pocket. I sometimes forget I have it which is getting to be a problem with all the security checks that are popping up most everywhere these days.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I try not to go anywhere without my pocket knife, it comes in handy to often. the airlines have become a little fussy about them though

I carry an Avenger Recurve by RJ Martin. It is about as tough and functional as they come IMHO.

http://www.martinsite.com/knives.shtml

Leatherman All The Way

I carry a leatherman super tool and a small flashlight with me in a belt pouch. I use it 10- 20 times a day, whether it is the blade or one of the other tools, it has become an indispensable part of my daily activities; even used it to cut myself out of my seatbelt after my wreck.( truck was smoking and about to catch on fire).
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook
    I try not to go anywhere without my pocket knife, it comes in handy to often. the airlines have become a little fussy about them though

I carry an Avenger Recurve by RJ Martin. It is about as tough and functional as they come IMHO.

http://www.martinsite.com/knives.shtml
    Yea.....I bet you'd lose that one at the airport.....

I carry a pocket knife every day. I use it at work at least once a week. I work in an office building, so I am sure someday there will be a rule against it. However, I will carry mine until I can't. Whenever I am working on a job site I carry a gerber multi plier.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I do

I got in the habit when I was younger from my Grandpa and Dad. They always had one and used it a lot.

The one I carry is a lock-back folder from A.G. Russell, you can see it here:

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_m...ne_handle.html

I really like the quality of this knife and it seems to stay sharp forever. I also have come to really like the A.G. Russell company, they just seem like good folks.

One of the nice things about them is their guarantee:
    "We guarantee total satisfaction. You, the customer, decide what satisfaction is. You decide how long you are entitled to be satisfied...
    "

No relation to company, just a satisfied customer.

What do you carry Markus?

-Linc.

I carry a knife everyday. I second that for A.G. Russell. I used to live in Northwest Arkansas, where A.G. has his show room. Great knives and great customer service. I got a wallet from them for Christmas about four years ago, it's made out of Stingray and shows minimal wear, real top notch stuff they carry.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Pocket knife

I think you will want a reasonably priced American made lockback pocket knife. The lockback is so that the knife will not close and slice up your knuckle. I use a Case mini Blackhorn, about $17. A Gerber LST is also a good choice, $20.

I carry a swiss army knife everyday. I feel undressed without it. I keep a Buck folder in my truck if I need a bigger knife. I bent the scissors and sent it back to the factory and they compleatly reconditioned it for free ( or the shipping to them).

Roger

Nope. I don't even own a pocket knife anymore. And my Leatherman was retired post 9-11 since I can't carry it when I travel, anyway. The only knife I use in the shop is a standard utility knife.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Actually I think it is possible to check a pocket knife at check in and get it on return or at most destinations.

I have forgotten I had one and left it at baggage claim & picked it up on my return before. Back when I use to travel every week you could dump one in the tray with change & no one even glanced at it. I think I would take a swiss army or something else on a trip. The Martin is big enough to get me out of the many blackberry entanglements I fight through on a regular basis.

If you had police dogs chasing you through the woods on a regular basis you would have a big one too
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-08-2005 at 1:39 PM.

Nope, only knife I use is a Japanese marking knife in the shop.

What I do carry with me at work is a small screwdriver with slot and philips heads. Can sometimes act as a knife, and very useful for general electronics work.

Bob

One of the little keyring leathermans

A bit more durable than my Swiss Army was (scissors at least) and isn't as long, so is more comfortable in my pocket. In the shop, I usually have my old beat up Spyderco in my pocket, but use a marking knife for marking.

Leatherman PST all the time at work;

Gerber ARS 3.0 all the time. Everywhere. Only exception is the airport.

My grandfather gave me a few pieces of advice when he was on his deathbed. One of them was ALWAYS carry a knife. It is an indispensable tool.

Bill R.