Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet adapter

Jet adapter

Having a brain freeze moment....what adapter do i need for a Jet 16x42 evs to run my nova chucks?

1.25x8tpi - I assume that is what you are asking?

The chucks I have are all 1x8 and I thought the Jet spindle requires an adapter?

Ken, do your chucks take an adapter? Some of the Novas (midi, some G3, etc.) are tapped only in 1"x8tpi. The others have a larger tapped opening that takes a variety of inserts to fit various spindles. The Jet spindle is 1.25" x 8 tpi.

There may be a way to go "up" in size, but I am unaware of it.

I looked at my G3 and there is an adapter in place, I dont recall putting it there so it must have been done when ordered or I plum forgot. So I geuss I have the tapped chuck.

6. If your adapter is 1x8 tpi, then take it out and see if the threads in the chuck body itself is 1.25 x8 tpi.......my supernova chucks are larger with my adapters being 1.25 x 8tpi.........they make the SN and SN2 to have a 1.50 x 8 tpi and you can use various adapters

I am not sure about the G3 ......what size threads the actually put into the chuck body itself. Hope this helps!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I would hate to order a new Jet and not be able to work it immediatley LOL!

If you need to go back and forth with the existing chucks, you can get adapters form PSI, CSUSA, Packard and others. Some have holes for vacuum chucks, others don't. I bought one from PSI when I upgraded and use it regularly as my first two chucks (PSI) do not adapt. My G2s, and SN2 do, but I did not buy the smaller adapters for them. Some slight increase in run-out may occur with any spindle extender.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
    I would hate to order a new Jet and not be able to work it immediatley LOL!
    That's why I ordered mine when I ordered my lathe!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Ken, do your chucks take an adapter? Some of the Novas (midi, some G3, etc.) are tapped only in 1"x8tpi. The others have a larger tapped opening that takes a variety of inserts to fit various spindles. The Jet spindle is 1.25" x 8 tpi.

There may be a way to go "up" in size, but I am unaware of it.
    The Nova G3 will take various adapters. I originally bought the G3 for use on a Jet mini, which took a 1" adapter. Now that I have moved to a Jet 1642, I have changed the adapter in the G3 to 1 1/4".

A followup on what Bob posted on the G3 - there is also a G3-D that is made for the Delta lathe and it does not accept an insert. It comes only in 1" x 8 tpi. It is also the one that accepts a grub screw for reversing.

John, there is "D" stamped on what I would assume is the adapter of the chuck.

Ken, not sure about that. I no longer own my G3-D, so I can't look at one to see what the appearance is. Can you remove the insert? If so, then you should be able to replace it with a 1.25" x 8. My advice is to only use Nova inserts.

Im gonna give that a try

Yep, it does come off.....