Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quiet air compressor?

I just fill up my 6 gallon portable air tank around 100-120PSI and take a coil of hose and my brad nailer and take it into the house, then go back and refill it when it gets down to about 40-50#'s.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

I must have been spoiled by my old (25 years+) Craftsmen pancake compressor. Still have it, but I bought a new Mac 700 last year and it is not only much noisier, but the old Sears would run tools longer. The Makita will probably go bye-bye and be replaced with a higher volume aluminum compressor.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Good video of the Rol Air. That thing looks really nice. They have made very good compressor's for a long time, unlike Porter cable which is now the home owner line for Stanley tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTZ5d...Q&feature=plcp

The Rol Air looks like they use a little Thomas type compressor pump like you use if you make your own vacuum system ala Joe Woodworker. Dave

That Thomas compressor looks like the one in the oxygen concentrator that I sell. They are some of the best. I have a larger, 20 gal, Rol Air, and I love it.

I just bought the Rol Air and love it. If you are looking for a compressor to just use with a trim nailer or something similiar, than take a good look at this one. I think I paid aroud $160 or so (they were having a sale), well worth the money. And it's small enought that storage is not really an issue, I just put it up on a shelf. Hope this helps.
    Matt

Unfortunately Amazon wasn't able to cancel my order in time and the little Porter-Cable arrived today. I turned it on for its break-in period and thought hey, this is great, the noise is pretty close to the advertised 71db (I measured 75db at 3 ft). Then I actually closed the drain valve after the break-in and in actually filling the tank, noise levels rose to 85db, not THAT much better than the Craftsman I'm trying to replace. Ugh. Now I either have to sell this off or return and eat the shipping. Stupid impulse buy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Unfortunately Amazon wasn't able to cancel my order in time and the little Porter-Cable arrived today. I turned it on for its break-in period and thought hey, this is great, the noise is pretty close to the advertised 71db (I measured 75db at 3 ft). Then I actually closed the drain valve after the break-in and in actually filling the tank, noise levels rose to 85db, not THAT much better than the Craftsman I'm trying to replace. Ugh. Now I either have to sell this off or return and eat the shipping. Stupid impulse buy!!
    You need to cancel an order VERY quickly with amazon or it gets in their system and it's going to ship whether you like it or not. I tried to cancel something a few hours after I clicked and it was too late. So they tell you to just refuse delivery and it gets sent back to them and all the money is refunded. If you bought it from Amazon and not one of the other options there, then just pack it up and call the carrier and tell them you were not home and you want to refuse delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Michael View Post
    You need to cancel an order VERY quickly with amazon or it gets in their system and it's going to ship whether you like it or not. I tried to cancel something a few hours after I clicked and it was too late. So they tell you to just refuse delivery and it gets sent back to them and all the money is refunded. If you bought it from Amazon and not one of the other options there, then just pack it up and call the carrier and tell them you were not home and you want to refuse delivery.
    Personal Responsibility? How about sucking it up and living with our own decisions. Dave

From my experience the greatest contributing factor to a quiet compressor is slow speed. I have an oil-less 3 gallon compressor that it very quiet because it runs at 1750 rpm rather than 3400 as do most inexpensive portable compressors. The company I once worked for had two makita compressors, mechanically they were identical but one ran at 3400 rpm and one at 1750. The faster speed nearly doubled the volume, but it was at least twice as loud.

I bought 2 used Jun Air compressors for my wife's jewelry business. They are no louder than a refrigerator. However,they don't put out a large amount of air. These were being used to run nail guns at a place they made picture frames. She uses it to blow out small bits of trash when assembling jewelry.

My guess is, a quiet compressor is often very low volume and / or low pressure... or, it will take forever to recharge the tank.... as mentioned, for nailers, prob. not a bid deal...but for higher volume applications, I wonder if low noise is really available...

I bought this Thomas, because its claim to fame is - the quietest 2hp compressor on the market, its pretty damn noisy.... watching some of the YouTube videos, I now understand what quiet really is, and how nice that would be..... but prob. hard to find one with good performance specs... or am I wrong?

http://cfpwarehouse.com/shopsite_sc/...l/T2820ST.html

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    If the compressor is not as advertised, Amazon will pay the return shipping.

the noise is pretty close to the advertised 71db (I measured 75db at 3 ft). Then I actually closed the drain valve after the break-in and in actually filling the tank, noise levels rose to 85db
    PC's claim of 71db says nothing about that noise level being only when the compressor is putting out free air.
    I'd return the unit to Amazon and tell them it's defective.
    If they ask in what way, tell them it puts out far more noise than the ad says it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    PC's claim of 71db says nothing about that noise level being only when the compressor is putting out free air.
    I'd return the unit to Amazon and tell them it's defective.
    If they ask in what way, tell them it puts out far more noise than the ad says it does.
    I agree. Do not let manufacturers get away with this. You would also do everyone a service by leaving an Amazon review that you returned the unit because it is substantially louder than advertised.