Thread: Can you cut Phenolic sheet on a laser cutter?

Can you cut Phenolic sheet on a laser cutter?

Does anyone have experience with this material?
    Heres an example

http://www.mcmaster.com/#phenolic-sheets/=f9cgl7

Thanks
    Eric

I have never tried cutting it but pool balls that I engrave are made of phenolic resin and it engraves very nicely. If no one else has a better answer for you I will throw one in later today and try vector cutting it to see what happens.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

The laser doesn't like it too much. You can do it, but it's not easy, it chars, etc. It's not an ideal material for the laser by any means, but you can limp through a job or two if you had to.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Engraving is a little more difficult than engravers plastic but as Steve said, charring is a major issue when cutting--enough that I don't do it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    The laser doesn't like it too much. You can do it, but it's not easy, it chars, etc. It's not an ideal material for the laser by any means, but you can limp through a job or two if you had to.
    I agree, I have actually done quite a bit but the edges are a little rough and take a couple of swipes with sandpaper when done.
    Cutting it mounted onto 1/4" acrylic takes two passes but after that it's usually pretty smooth. Apparently the second pass to get through the acrylic smooths off the phenolic.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

What project are you working on that requires true phenolic material. I only ask because "phenolic" is a catch all used by electricans who just want a plastic plate........... Lamacoid is another........
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw