Thread: My little build has reached the next phase

My little build has reached the next phase

I got the steel painted and the basic build complete. Now that I have all the mass in place I can start motor tuning.

I got the Rapids up to 2000IPM but it was a little scarry. I settled on 1000IPM rapids for now.

All the red shown in the video is painted 1/4" steel. I still have to add the steel gantry braces but she runs pretty ridgid.

The next step is to design the clamp table, and cable system. I would like to cut a red dragon cable out of polycarb or compressed PVC.

I am looking at alternate Z axis options. If anyon knows of any Z axis available for DIY builds let me know. Im currently researching the K2 CNC 8".
    Last edited by Michael Simpson Virgina; 12-07-2011 at 2:02 AM.

Beautiful! Sent you the 8" K2 pdf via email.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 12-07-2011 at 2:57 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Simpson... You wear me out.. How many of these things have you built now?

That's one good looking machine. The rocking of the whole thing scares me though... Do you plan to add enough mass to the table to keep it from moving around?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

You should have seen it before I locked the casters. The CNC is just sitting on top of a workbench. No bolts or clamps. Believe me it was scary for me as well. My gantry is nearly 170lbs and I have no stops on the beams yet so I was holding my breath. Especially since I hand coded the gcode to run it through the tests.

This machine is to be transported to the DC science and engineering fair in April so I will build a special 80/20 stand that breaks down.