Thread: Dining Table - WIP (Picture Heavy)

Dining Table - WIP (Picture Heavy)

Thought I would share some pictures of the dining table I have been working on since I have asked so many finishing questions related to it in the project finishing forum. The "concept" is from a table my wife likes at Pottery Barn. The wood is distressed using saw kerfs, planing, hand saws, wood rasps, etc.

This is the frame of the table top. It is laminated 2x material, assembled using mortise and tenon joinery.

TableFrameSmall.jpg

The ends are "fake" breadboards built up using laminated materials wrapped in 1/2" and 3/4" solid wood. They are attached using lag screws. Eventually, these screws will be distressed and aged as well.
    TableEndSmall.jpgTableEndDetailSmall.jpg

Here's the top just laying on top of the frame for now. It is edge-glued solid material. Each board is a different width and is individually distressed prior to glue-up.
    TableTopDetailSmall.jpgTableWithTopSmall.jpg

And finally, the legs. Each leg is laminated solid lumber. Joinery is mortise and tenon. The legs sit at a 5 degree angle.

TableLeg2Small.jpgTableLegSmall.jpg

The finish will be a multi-step process including dye, gel stains, shellac and a final finish I haven't decided on yet.

Thanks!

It is a little difficult to see the distress you applied in the photos. It will be interesting to see your lay-up process and final finish. Keep at it !

Interesting method for the table top, but looks good. What kind of bike is that in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Interesting method for the table top, but looks good. What kind of bike is that in the background.
    The bikes are a Yamaha FZ6 (mine) and a Honda Rebel 250 (DW's).

Quote Originally Posted by rob durfos View Post
    It is a little difficult to see the distress you applied in the photos. It will be interesting to see your lay-up process and final finish. Keep at it !

Check out this thread for the details- http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Table-Finished