Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An American Christmas

An American Christmas

In conversation recently my wife and I came to a conclusion on what we are doing for Christmas presents.

All of the presents that we buy will be manufactured in the USA.

The deindustrailization of the USA has us concerned, and it would seem to us to be hypocritical to go out and buy a bunch of stuff from countries whos policies are not in our best interest. The trade imbalance is a concern, and so we will not contribute to it this year. Further our presents will make other Americans we don't even know have a better Christmas, because it will make their jobs just a wee bit more secure.

The guys were easy, they are all getting either Lie-Nielson planes [employees] or Bean Boots that are still made in Maine.

The women are my wifes problem, but she did purchase a couple of handmade sweaters from a local woman who was happy to have the business.

I feel good about this decision.

Larry

Blog Entries
    Glad you guys feel like that Larry.

As you said for the men it's probably a lot easier than shopping for the women or the kids.

PHM

I'm not sure about shopping for the kids, but the women on my list are pretty easy. I'm doing the same thing as Larry and the Mrs., as I've done for the past couple of years. Most of the women on my list are getting a gift basket including hand made soaps made on a local farm that is struggling to be self sustained. The rest of the items in the gift baskets I'm making myself. My only hiccup is the SOs mother. We're giving her a gift card this year as she has recently moved to a new house and there are several things she wants/needs that I can't choose for her. The hiccup is that she is one serious Wal-Mart shopper. Somethings just can't be helped I suppose.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I stopped on the way home and was going to pick up some Lincoln Logs for my neices that are always building houses with their Lego set.

They were not made in the USA. Kind of funny when you think about it....

Got home and did a search and found Roy Toys, log sets made in Maine. Ordered some. So far, the boots, planes and toy logs that I have bought are all made in Maine. Seems we have a winner......

Larry

This year we have kinda done the same sort of thing. We have been shopping in towns who are struggling. We may be buying import stuff but supporting the shop owner who sells it. Most often the owner is running the register. To buy something made in the USA at that same store is the best overall.

One town we go to often is Wilmington Ohio. DHL was locate there and closed down. 7,000 jobs lost. The town population is only 12,000. If you don't know Wilmington Ohio it is basically corn fields with a HUGE! abandoned DHL hub. We all got in the car this year and had Thanksgiving dinner at a family owned restaurant there.
    Rachael Ray did a show from there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo49ufTsFJU

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/business/11dhl.html
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-06-2011 at 3:11 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Larry, that's a great approach.

My personal approach is that I don't accept Christmas presents. It's not that I don't like Christmas or presents however about 7 years ago I realised that I had everything I could reasonably want, and then some.

At that point I stopped accepting Christmas presents so my familly buys Christmas dinner for 75 people in my name.

Gifts from friends are donations to charitable organisations.

I do buy presents for younger nieces and nephews (my familly has always had a 16 years of age cutoff for non imediate familly members).

As to buying stuff made in the USA, yes it's #2 on my list, after that it's EU countries.

Regards, Rod.

LN tools and LL Bean are great, how about some fine Bourbon to add a little reqional variety!

Andy

Rod

There are a lot of people in my family that make a lot less than I do, so it is fun for me to buy something for them that they would otherwise not own. I'm the same way, North America first, then any country that treats its citizens fairly and allows a living wage. Just bought two new Husqvarnas, made in Sweden. I'm not an isolationist, I just only do business with friends.

I on the other hand am the most spoiled SOB on the face of the earth. I have a nice home, an awesome wife, great kids [and they are all grown!] and a wonderful granddaughter, another on the way. I have more tools than any one man should have, and I pity the fool that gets my name at the family Christmas. I'm just spoiled rotten.....

I like that Bourbon idea!

I bought some chocolates for my customers from a small shop in Colorado. Best chocolate in the world!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Muckle View Post
    LN tools and LL Bean are great, how about some fine Bourbon to add a little reqional variety!
    But what if they use French oak barrels in the aging process?

Blog Entries
    I saw a tv show about the Jack Daniels plant one time on the history channel. How the make those oak barrels was pretty interesting. Actually spend a lot of labor making them on site. Have a large supply of beautiful wood there. Sorry to get off topic.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    But what if they use French oak barrels in the aging process?
    Joe, that just adds a certain "Je ne sais quois" to the bourbon :-)

Regards, Rod.

I have heard that for a whiskey to legally be labeled Bourbon; it must be made in Kentucky. Apparently that’s not true.

However, according to this website: "By law Bourbon must be made in NEW American white oak barrels."

http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/KentuckyBourbon.html
    Last edited by Harry Hagan; 12-07-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Harry, bourbon do need to be made in Kentucky before it can be labeled Kentucky Bourbon unless the company owns the license
    common whiskey or bourbon whiskey are made in the still and stored in the barrels to aged

Bought some "Wild Ass" jeans today for the boys.

No really, thats what they are called. Baileys saw supply out of California has them made here in the USA, heavy built of 14 1/2 oz. fabric, that too made in the USA. Ordered a pair for myself to try.

Bought a Ax from Sweden, but technically it is for me and not a Christmas present, so I'm OK on that one.

Only 16 shopping days til Christmas.....

Larry

If you're into Bourbon and Chocolate, you own it to yourself to visit Frankfort, Kentucky where there are shops that make and sell Bourbon Balls. These are addictive to say the least and U.S. made to boot.

Mac