Thread: A couple more dyed ornaments

A couple more dyed ornaments

I turned these about a week ago and have just been waiting until I had the photo tent up to take some pics.

The first one is black limba with an african blackwood knob and icicle. It was dyes with a turquoise/blue dye but with the yellow in the wood, it went more towards a turquoise/green.

The 2nd one is Maple (I think, kinda lost track of which woods I used for which pieces) with a maple knob and icicle. The globe was dyed with a royal blue dye and the knob and finial were treated with silver leaf rub n buff. I was hoping the silver would look more like silver, but it looks more like aluminum. I'm wondering if maybe a coat of lacquer wouldn't help it? Ren wax is a no go, tried it on the knob and it just kind of melts the silver off.
    Anyway, I like how the blue turned out and I've got another in the process of finishing that's been dyed red with a similar pattern of light and dark. I also got some of the gold leaf rub n buff and might try it on the knob and icicle for the red ornament.
    Both globes are finished with spray on lacquer.
    PICT0009.JPGPICT0010.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy, these are very nice. I don't know anything about the process of making these ornaments, but I assume they are hollowed? Do they have a hole in each end? How are they chucked? I really like the dye/coloring job you did.

Kathy those are beauties. Really like the dye. I did the same as the green one except I used silver craft paint with sparkle in it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kathy, do you turn in your sleep? Beautiful job. Great color.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks Eric and Bernie!
    Eric, this is my process for turning them (other turners may use different methods, but whatever works for you is the right method).
    I start with a spindle blank and turn a tenon on one end and rough to a cylinder. Then I mount it in the chuck using the tailstock for support, and true the cylinder if needed. I turn the upper half of the globe except for a little nub when the live center sits, then I start on the lower half but only turn it about 1/4 of the way down, leaving the bottom most 1/4 for support for hollowing. I then remove the tailstock, turn off the nub and then using a 3/8" drill, I drill through the globe going beyond where the bottom will be. I hollow the globe using an allen wrench that I bent and ground to work as a hollowing tool. When the hollowing is done I sand the turned portion then I start turning the very bottom. When I get close to where the hole is drilled, I stop and sand what I have just turned, then I part it off with a thin parting tool. Since I drilled past the bottom, I don't have to reverse it to drill the bottom hole, and the holes are perfectly aligned. Once it's parted off, it just needs a little bit of hand sanding around the bottom hole and it's done.
    If the splindle blank was long enough then I can start another globe where I left off.
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Kathy, do you turn in your sleep? Beautiful job. Great color.
    Thanks Bob!
    No I don't turn in my sleep, I turn instead of sleep .

Very nice, Kathy! I would try the metallic spray paints and see what you get with the silver and gold. They should work well and dry very fast. A coat of lacquer over top should work to give them some shine.

I am liking the colors you are creating! Also - there's nothing wrong with a brushed aluminum look! It's not as glossy as a true silver but still gives wonderful contrast with the color!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Both are nice looking ornaments. Guess you give are giving way to a new term "sleepless turning". Whether it looks like silver or aluminum, it looks good.

Nice work, Kathy! I like the brushed aluminum look!

Lovely ornaments!

Nice work on the shape and colors Kathy. The only color I was so so on was the silver. That may have more to do with the sheen of it rather than the color itself.

Thanks for the tutorial, Kathy

Your dye job turned out well. Nice ornaments Kathy.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------