Thread: McNaughton cored Ash bowls completed

McNaughton cored Ash bowls completed

Here's the finished set, 9 1/2" x 4", 6" x 2" and 3" x 1/2" from an 11"+ blank. I took off about 1 1/2" from the outside of the 9 1/2" bowl to turn away some cracking. If it hadn't been for the cracking and the lathe issues I would have had 4 bowls from the blank.
    They are all sanded to 320 and finished with Mahoney's Walnut Oil and I think I've already decided on a recipient for the set. We've got a new receptionist at work, she's shown an interest in my work and inquired about pricing, so I know she'll appreciate the set as a gift.
    Can't wait to try it again with the lathe running at full power!
    PICT0002.JPGPICT0003-1.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Those look great and I predict you will become very proficient with the coring tools!!

Those look great, especially for your first attempt! Congrats on getting your lathe back in business too!

Congrats on the coring. That's something I want to get someday. Did you apply more that one application of Mahoney's? Did you wipe off immediately? I've been having trouble with the application on my cherry and maple bowls.

Thanks guys!
    Eric, I've only applied 1 coat so far. I rub it on by hand and let it soak in for a few minutes, then I wipe off the excess. I'll add more coats if needed. Even though I wipe off the excess and it appears dry, if you touch it anywhere with your hand, it will bring the oil to the surface. Some pieces have taken several weeks to cure. I just let them sit on a shelf until I can hold them and not leave oily fingerprints.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

pretty, pretty..the gal is gonna swoon!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I wish my 1st coring experience was that good. Super great job! The McNaughton really loads down a lathe. It's the only thing that made my Jet 1642 2 HP slip the belt. It's real satisfying to get 3 for the effort of 1 also.

Well done! I like the diminishing thickness of the bowls proportionate to the diameter.

Wow, what a great start. I think those tools found a good home.
    faust

Beautiful set of bowls Kathy! Looking forward to seeing the next set!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congratulations on coring your first set. I can attest to the sense of fulfillment when you get a good cored set completed.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Looking good Kathy. Really like the bowls and isn't it nice to cut down on the curlies?
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very good job as usual. Look very nice and someone sure should appreciate them. I made four large walnut bowls, lots of beautiful wood went onto the floor. Would have been wonderful to have had bowls from it. Enjoy!.
    C&C WELCOME

Nice work, Kathy! The old coring setup is on the ever-expanding wish list of tools... Isn't there a bottom to this vortex?

really nice looking bowls and definitely up to your usual quality pretty sure the recipient will love them