Thread: Another cherry bowl

Another cherry bowl

It has become clear that cherry blanks instantly turn into bowls of this style on my lathe. I tried starting with another shape. But somewhere in the haze of the vortex I switched to this shape.

Anyways, I'm happier with this one than the other 30 or so. It is probably my "best" over all skill wise. There is a little sanding mark that shows in one picture that I over looked in the shop. And some chatter on the inside. I believe the best approach is to take my camera out and snap some pre-finished pics. The flash seems to reveal flaws my eyes over look.

Sanding mark on the right edge of the bowl. Thankfully it is isolated to what you see there it does not go the entire circumference of the bowl.

This is why I love cherry. The grain swirl, color and flecks that show up make my heart happy.

You can see the tear out on the left here.

mmmm cherry.

Thankfully my wood guy had two good cherry logs that were too crooked to make lumber out of. I convinced him they would be better off cut up and loaded in my truck than taking up space on his lot. So lots of cherry wood to practice on.

C&C welcome and requested.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Nice curves, Derek! I can see why you like cherry... Pretty stuff! I generally avoid broad bases on bowl forms to prevent that 'stuck on the table' look than can happen, but the form you've chosen does have some lift with that little recurve at the foot. Have fun and keep turning them!

Pretty wood for sure Derek. It's funny how the flaws start to appear when you start taking pictures! Since you have plenty of great wood to practice on, have some fun trying different shapes or designs. From personal experience, I know that is easier said than done.

Beautiful wood, Derek!! While you like this form, it is important to practice many of the mathematical curves so that your technique and tool control improve. This has a nice ogee curve to it. You may want to try some of the other forms, too.

Nice work, Derek! I feel you on the tear-out. I'm still not good enough to get this out without sandpaper.

I recommend you read The Art of Turned Bowls by Richard Raffan. I think you'll really appreciate it at this stage, and it'll give you many ideas for different types of forms. There are templates in there that you can use to train yr hands to reveal a variety of forms as naturally as you pull this one off.

Derek - Cherry has always been one of my favorites to turn because it is such a beautiful wood! That and it really makes the shop smell good! Glad you have a bunch of Cherry to turn! Have fun experimenting with different forms.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good looking bowl Derek. Cherry is a nice wood and love the smell of the shop when turning it. Wipe your bowl down with a little mineral spirits or dna while sanding and it will show up the sanding marks, etc. Both will dry quickly. Have fun trying some different forms. Another good DVD is Mike Mahoney's Bowl Basics: A Workshop with Mike Mahoney.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.