Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elm burl HF

Elm burl HF

I had turned this HF a few months ago but did not like the finial. While doing a little cleaning up, decided to turn a new finial for it. The HF is 5 inches tall, 8 inches tall including finial. The finial is holly, dyed black. Finish is tung oil (3 or 4 coats) buffed with tripoli. Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Dennis. That elm burl has awesome figure and makes me want to go buy some! Overall this piece has good balance. My only critiques would be very minor tweaks but I think I might be too biased from doing this sized HFs, so I will digress for others to discuss. Your finial looks pretty good with the only suggestion would be to thin the bottom of the finial and concave the line leading to the onion.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Wow, what a piece of wood! Nice work. Finials are very individualized, and so subjective. It is rare to do one that suits everyone. This one works very well.

4. gorgeous piece of wood.....love that figured grain! Pretty form...........finial is simple and does work.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great job! I like the form and finial, and that wood is awesome! I like my bottoms rolled under just a bit more, but that's a bit subjective. All in all, it's a super piece!

Pretty piece from a great piece o wood. Love the fan like figure rising from the bottom.

Great form, absolutely stunning figure!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Man, what a piece of wood. Of course, what you've done with it is great too. That's really nice!

Great work with some great wood Dennis!

Dennis beautiful piece out of some beautiful wood. I do like that finial.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Every thing Dennis turns is pretty and disgustingly thin. sets a tough example for us normal turners. just a friend--------------old forester

I like it alot, Dennis, The HF has great figure and is finished well. What did you use to dye the ash?

Very nice Dennis! Great form and a stunning piece of wood!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

delightful! gotta love that wood!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Nice work! Love the burl!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!