Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First full size hat

First full size hat

I opened my big mouth and told my birch supplier I could make him a full size cowboy hat. I have made quite a few ornamental mini hats and thought all it takes is a big chunk of wood, right? A few days ago I thought today is the day so I started in making the re-chuck that a stack of mdf was previously glued up for. Then it was bearings, then lamp parts then, a new tool rest. Those items shot the whole day and that evening I re visited plenty of on line tutorials on the basics of wood hat making.

Day two: I started by cutting a blank from a 17" diameter birch log, prepped it for the lathe and turned the hat. The goal was to make a hat size 8-1/8 so from what I picked up on line I added 9/16" and turned the diameter at the band to 8-11/16". Its in the bender now and has taken quite a bit of shape but I don't expect to get a lot more from this piece of birch that was dying and had some bug holes. The only problem I had was the dark birch didn't let light through until I got to the sap wood at the dome, and I had to add some temporary strips of foam to the lighted re-chuck because the hat size was slightly too big for the chuck. The chuck as built should work fine for anything up to size 8.

If I can be of help to anyone who wants to undertake this type of project, just let me know. I don't plan to get seriously into hat turning, but it is fun and I plan to do at least a couple more now that I have some of the essentials like the lighted re chuck and a bending jig. I should have a finished pic in a week or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking hat !
    I attended an all day demo of Johannes Michelsen a couple of years ago, and it is certainly a process he made look easy !!
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

I hope you understand Hayes...there are a handfull of people that can do that and you may have just become a lemming leader! Amazing job sir!!! That will be sure to have a gallery spot!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Pretty cool. I have the instructions for the bender and light chuck set up but haven't tried to get set up to try a full sized hat yet. Looks like you did a good job of it. be sure and show us a picture of the finished product.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

There's a project on my bucket list! Great job on the hat! Scott(or anyone else), can you send me those plans for the bender and the light chuck? I can't wait to see it finished, Hayes!

The hat looks great. Wish I could see it before it's claimed. Oh well, maybe another?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Looks great Hayes! I don't know anything about doing one, but someday I would like to give it a shot! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

good golly, that's impressive!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

That's pretty cool! Looking forward to seeing it once finished!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quite a project, Hayes. It amazes me how many shavings hit the floor to give a finished project like this.

That is some project. Probably more than I want to tackle.
    C&C WELCOME

Lookin good Hayes, can't wait to see finished. I've gone thru the process about 4 times now, really only one that I liked, and I blew thru part of top, but managed to somewhat salvage it. Did one recently, but miscalculated height of hat, so it's about an inch short. It had a big inclusion in rim I actually was able to save, but I haven't been motivated to finish sanding and finish it after coming off bending rack.
    Your's is looking super with the proportions from what I see.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

bravo, very nice

Looking great Hayes Can't wait to see it completed.

Very cool! That's going on my "one of these days" list, probably start off with a mini hat. Sure looks like fun!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.