Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A creeker visit with John and Eileen Keeton

A creeker visit with John and Eileen Keeton

I've been wanting to meet John for quite some time and after his heart attack, I decided not to put it off any longer. So, this weekend, I drove up to his place in KY and we had a SUPER visit. I can't say enough good stuff about John and Eileen. They were and are just plain great people. I got to John's place about 9:30 Saturday morning and after a brief visit, John took me out to his shop and we sort of went to work. (He did all the work and I watched.) I had brought some Maple burls that I wanted John to give me some ideas about what to make out of them. Well, even better, he said, "we can work on one of these if you want to." So, without further adu, John proceeded to show me his method of approaching and actually doing a hollow form. Here are a few pictures.
    DSC07056 (Medium).jpgDSC07049 (Medium).jpgDSC07050 (Medium).jpgDSC07051 (Medium).JPG

John showed me a unique way of parting the top off the hollow form from the inside.
    DSC07059 (Medium).JPGDSC07062 (Medium).jpgDSC07060 (Medium).jpgDSC07061 (Medium).jpg
    We decided to add a walnut ring to the form which is something I wanted to do anyway.

John just went right to work on that without even slowing down.
    Last edited by Ed Morgano; 12-04-2011 at 4:37 PM.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

This is the result:

DSC07086.JPGDSC07073.JPG

And, last but not least, a picture of the three of us as proof that I was actually there.

DSCF0397 (Medium).jpg
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Looks like a nice visit!

Ed - I know John and Eileen - so I know you had a great time! Nice looking hollow form! Really decent of John to show how to fix things, should you ever have something unexpected happen to your turning! Thanks for sharing! Great photos!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Ed, so glad you made it home safely, and before the rain came! We had a great time with Ed. He spent the night with us, got treated to our hometown Christmas parade, complete with hot chocolate, followed by a great chorale program featuring a tremendous Celtic group of bagpipes and drums.

Twice I have failed to sufficiently tighten the cutter head on my Monster rig, and wouldn't you know the second time was when there was someone present with a camera!!! Actually, I did it on purpose just to show Ed what NOT to do!

Ed brought a beautiful Christmas ornament that he made for Eileen and I.

001.JPG

And, I sent him back with some of my wood stash, including some flat stock so he can practice on those impromptu walnut collars!!

Hope you are able to make it back to KY someday, Ed! We will try to destroy another of your beautiful burls!! You are welcome anytime!

Well Ed I can say I do agree that John and Eileen are just super people. It looks like great meeting and sounds like a fun time was had. John the shop looks pretty much the same as when I was there except for the big Jet.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congratulations to everybody!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Seeing the images of the HF and its actual size is pretty neat.....I dont think ive ever seen one in person!

Nice. The only guy I know of who has a shop so clean that a camera can be left uncovered!
    David DeCristoforo

That would be a treat indeed. And one really clean shop.
    C&C WELCOME

Looks and sounds like a great visit. I told JK that a meeting with him was on my bucket list so I need to move in that direction.

Geesh JK. Did you rob the cradle?
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Man, I am so jealous. I've been wanting to go to keetons house for a long time. Congrats Ed, now you need to head up to Kathy Marshall's in AZ. I'm glad to see your doing alot of creeker visits. Looks like you had a great time.

I like to see that happen and great shop pics.

thanks for sharing, its what its all about

And what a great time of year!! Can we gather a good time was had by all...It sure looks like it! Nice job you two!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots