Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Covered Sissoo

Snow Covered Sissoo

Kathy Marshall, being the lovey person she is, sent me another chunk of Sissoo (Indian Rosewood) and this is the first of two HFs I turned from it. I just love this wood. It is so rich with character and color. I oriented the sapwood to cover the top and at first glance I thought it looked like a cupcake, but alas we'll call in "snow covered" instead! I am not 100% on the finial, because of the dark color might be too much of a contrast and that "it's not thin enough"!

This one is 4 1/4" wide x 8" tall, hollowed to about 1/8" thick with more on the bottom for ballast. Finished with BLO and WOP, buffed and Ren wax. African Blackwood finial.

Comments and critiques are always welcome, thanks.
    sissoonew1.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Kathy sent me a chunk of this recently, and this reaaaally makes me want to go down to my shop and mount it up. That is some good looking wood.

You really made the grain work great and I'm digging the finial...gives a new kind of elegance to the piece.

Great wood, great form, great finial! I can see your point about the blackwood but it still looks great! Very nice Scott!

Another great one, Scott. I think the finial might be a little dark but it still works good.

I've also got a few pieces of Sissoo from Kathy that I'm waiting to dig in to.....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Thanks for the comments.

Doug and Marty, I have turned a couple different pieces of Sissoo (all from Kathy) and this wood it VERY stable. I recommend turning to final thickness and sanding it to 400 at least before letting it air dry for at least a week, before any type of poly and such.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Wow! I really like this one Scott! The sapwood on top is a great touch, snow covered really fits! I think the form on the finial is just right and I like the contrast, a lighter finial would look good too but I think this one works.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thats is some nice wood, every thing i seen posted here from it looks great specially when the turner orientates it "that ceron way" (this HF, K.Marshall's platter)... good stuff.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Actually, I like the black, and the form is perfect! The finial seems very proportionate, and I don't think thinner would be better here.

9. Nice form Scott...........you did good with the orientation of the sapwood..........great finial...........and great wood from Kathy!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great looking piece Scott. Reminds me of chocolate pudding with whip cream.

"The best things in life are not things."

That Sissoo is a beautiful piece of wood. Love the sapwood and the feather on the side. Nicely done, Scott.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

This one is a definite keeper. I like it just the way it is, the dark finial stands out just enough, and the contrast of the sap wood really draws out the beautiful colors in sissoo. Wonderful form too!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Looks great just as it is

Great looking piece. I love the sapwood look added in. To me, a two tone like that looks better than a solid color.

Scott,

That is a very nice piece. Good form and the finial blends well with the piece. Well Done.

Alan