Thread: just starting out with baby steps,

just starting out with baby steps,

I am in my first semester of college in computer networking services and am interested in learning the cnc language and buy a small machine like a stinger 1. What do I look for in learning the language what programs are best used.

Thanks
    Dana Decker

The language mostly used is G-code... but you don't NEED to know G-code. It is useful to be familiar with it, but most of the work is done in the cad/cam software - the cad is the design and cam is translator that converts the design to g-code. All g-code really is is commands telling the machine what to do - move left, right, up down - move 1 in, move .002 in, and so on. The best thing you can do is find a cad/cam program and play with it. I use Aspire- which is an all in one package - they have a free trial version that you can download and play with. If you want to learn CNC software, you'd also help yourself by learning graphics software - vectors - bitmaps - and graphic design is a HUGE part of the process.

Btw - I run a stinger II and they're awesome little machines.

drad is right learn the software first,, integrating to a machine will flow much better on the curve,, i also have the camaster built like my harley in the scheme of these things,

download the fully functioning demo here, start with vcarve and learn the basics, file creation, nodes, machining if you want many of us can help online, as well there is a forum for massive support see the support section

vectric.com

camheads.org
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-04-2011 at 4:50 PM.

Thanks for the replys, I joined camheads last night and will download the software from vetric and work with it.

Dana have you read much on cnczone yet?

Ever consider building a machine?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Dana have you read much on cnczone yet?

Ever consider building a machine?
    I have read some on the cnczone but don't think I am up to a build

You should also join the Shopbot forum. Lots of help there