Thread: Delta 14" Band Saw VS Jet 18" Band Saw

Delta 14" Band Saw VS Jet 18" Band Saw

I currently own a Delta (28-269) 14" Grand Edition (White) Band Saw with 1HP Motor, Riser Block, Enclosed Stand, Delta Mobile Base, and Kreg Fence. I bought it new and thus far has served me well.

A buddy is moving and has asked me to help him sell off his shop. One of the items he has is a Jet JWBS-18 18" Bandsaw - the older version with the square frame. It's 1.75HP, currently wired for 110 (220 is not a problem for me), has the Jet fence a mobile base.

If it was anything but the Jet (have seen more than a few bad reviews on this particular saw
    ), swapping out for an 18" Bandsaw would be a no brainer.

I'm really not interested in selling both and buying a new to me band saw the likelyhood for a decent 17" + band saw to show up on Craigslist is slim.

So, if anyone has or has had some positive experiences wit the Jet, kindly share.
    Last edited by Todd Davidson; 12-03-2011 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Clarification ( & misspelling.... )

With Jet Tools in general, or that specific Bandsaw?

I have a Jet 15"planer, 6" jointer, 10" Contractor saw, 14" bandsaw and a DC 1100 dust collector. I also have a Rikon 18" bandsaw, Delta 14-651 mortiser, a Delta Drill press, Steel City 26" Dual Drum Sander and a General Tablesaw.
    I've had specific "issues" with all of them, but the Jet's are no worse than anything else.
    The knock against that particular Jet Bandsaw was that it retailed for a few hundred more than a similar Grizzly, or the Rikon 10-340/345, and it was somewhat underpowered. If he doesn't want too much for it, and you have the room, it's a very good resaw bandsaw as is, and even better if a "true" 2-3 hp motor is installed. The wheels are lighter than the Rikon 10-340 also.
    I have two bandsaws just for that reason, resaw. The Rikon is set up only to resaw.
    If it has that 3 wheeled Jet mobil base, ditch it. Those are pretty tippy and don't allow the bandsaw to sit properly.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Hi Todd,

I owned that same model Jet 18" bandsaw (sounds like) a number of years back. While I'd say the every bandsaw has its quirks, the Jet had more than I could manage. The main issue for me was flex in the body and especially the upper guide post. Not a big deal if you aren't resawing anything over 4" or so. I found the body had too much flex to tension a blade over 1/2". I did like the guides, which on mine were a steel disc bushing. I remember seeing some major improvements in Jet's subsequent models.

I bought a Laguna 20" to replace it back in 2002 I think. Its not so flexy, but like I said, every bandsaw has its issues.

TD
    Todd Donovan

Thanks for the replies.

I could sell the Delta for what the Jet would cost. The Jet has 6 Timberwolf blades & I have 6 Timberwolfs & 1 carbide tipped for my Delta. The Jet has a nice custom welded steel base.
    The Kreg Fence (on my Delta) seems a little nicer than the Jet fence (swapping won't work).

Don't have room for both saws (and don't do as much woodworking as I used to) so would prefer to keep just one.......

Interesting. I have that saw and have been very happy with it. I've used a 3/4" blade occasionally and currently run a 5/8" with no troubles.
    There was a similar thread about this saw on 11/24. Look for it on page 5 of the older threads here.

Run away. The square spined version is a design flawed lemon. The newer triangle spine is a solid saw but I wouldn't even consider the square spined saw for blades wider than 1/2" and then only if they were thin stock blades.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van: Now I am slightly concerned. I have not noticed any problems (yet?). Please tell me what design flaws I should be looking for or troubles to anticipate with my saw. Are any of these correctible?