Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you use as a smock (if anything) ?

Personally I wear a long (knee length) jacket from work, nylon mix material - chips fall off and "wrapping it round a tree" works on getting the dust out! That or a cotton boilersuitr (all in one thing) from the maintenance department - this lets me tuck my boots inside the legs - saves on getting chips in the steel toe cap boots I wear!

My friend-turner Jon wears a fisherman's smock on back-to-front. The pockets are then at the back, and there's a knitted / elasticated neck tight to your throat. He also keeps a golfing glove to stop chips burning his left hand, and a wooly hat in the other pocket! (he learnt about the wooly hat from me - because I suffer cold temperatures very badly).

Try a welder's jacket. Mine does not have the velcro at the neck, but the button closure is just right. As you know they are a lot cheaper than the over-priced "woodturner's smock". The other alternative is to buy a cheap shirt that is too big for you and wear it backwards. Either cut the sleeves off short or put in a piece of elastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    I never used to wear a smock, but after ruining a dozen or more T-shirts with various oils and black walnut juice..my better half suggested (very strongly) that I purchase one. So I bought one of the 25th Anniversary AAW smocks in St Paul. I, now, hang it on the tail stock to remind myself to put it on!
    T-Shirt $10.00 --- Smock $60.00 --- A Happy Wife will make up the difference.