Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Bowl

Cedar Bowl

Here is a cedar bowl I made from some cedar I aquired about 2 yrs ago. It has been in log form until last Saturday. The cedar log was 15 1/2" in diameter. I tried a different bowl design for me. It was pretty dry but have a crack or two in it on one of the knots. Had some wild color. Finished with Antique Oil. It is 9 1/2" X 3". This thing has some wild color to it. I have I think 4 more blanks from this log.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Love the color on your cedar. Nice looking bowl as well.

Clint

Very nice Bernie and great color in that wood. I've turned enough cedar to know how cruel it can be to a finished product. Looks as though you may have lucked out though.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

4. That is so red it is almost purple in areas of the grain..............good lookin' stuff! I am surprised you got the AO to shine up that glossy! Did you buff it?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Lots of character in that one, Bernie! Nice.

That's a classic form and a good one. Very pretty wood. I lined a chest with red cedar once but I've never had any to turn. I've heard that there can be problems with it.

Out here in the west we've always called that Tennessee cedar. A number of years ago my wife and I were driving around in some of the southern states. While in Tennessee I asked someone about getting some Tennessee cedar. He didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe he didn't understand my yankee accent. On the same trip we were on a back road in N. Carolina. I stopped at a little country store to ask for some directions. When I got back to the car my wife asked what the man had said. My answer was that I had no idea. Too southern for me.

Lovely piece of work there Bernie! Love the colour - what I call a "hidden treasure". Never turned Cedar, but I'll be keeping an eye out for any going spare...

It has nice grain as well as color. Cedar is very popular around here. Suspect it will be there as well. You did a good job with that one. Glad you have some more of it.

Love the color and character of that piece. A keeper for sure.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thats beautiful.
    I am hoping to cut into my cedar this weekend for the first couple of rough-outs. If I am lucky enough to get half that grain pattern, I will be sure to share!!!!

Very,Very nice. You did an outstanding job on this one it's a beautiful piece.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Excellent piece of cedar.

Very nice Bernie. A great classic shape. I am surprised that you didn't get more cracks. If you look at it cross eyed it will crack.

"The best things in life are not things."

Wow, mother nature and yourself did a number with that one, looks great.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

very nice, Bernie, what is the secret to getting finish on cedar, within a week or two all my finish has been adsorbed with cedar?