Thread: Question on the Nova DVR

Question on the Nova DVR

I am thinking about picking up a Monster articulated system for my Nova DVR. Do any of you that turn on a Nova use the Monster? Will I need a bed extension or will the system mount up on just the basic lathe. I'm thinking about getting the bed extension anyway but might need a reason to convince the CFO of the need. Also, have any of you used the Nova Swing Away Accessory? If so, what do you think of it? Worth the money? Or just another portion of the vortex to ensure all your hard earned dollars are invested in turning items.

Thanks in advance.

Clint

I have both. It should work fine. I would say you can do about a 10" maybe a little deeper vessel without needing the bed extension. I have the swing away bed on mine so I generally park the tail stock on that and swing it out of the way.

Here are some pics with my swing away. I put a support bar under it but you should not need it. It is a great accessory.

Alan

Final Lathe Pic 2.jpgFinal Lathe Pic 1.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 12-02-2011 at 9:21 AM.

I have a Monster articulated system on my Nova DVR. I do not have the bed extension and have no desire for one. Unless you are going to do long spindle work or do not want to remove your tailstock when doing hollow forms, I see no use for one.
    Just my opinion, I understand the practicality of the swing away, but I would rather spend my money elsewhere. Oh yeah, my Monster system works great without the bed extensions, etc.

I use a monster on my DVR and have a bed extension. It is a non-issue when using the monster. I got the bed extension to move my tailstock out of the road when turning other pieces.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have the DVR and the Monster...no bed extension. I rotate the headstock out to the first stop...i think its 22 degrees or so. This allows me plenty of room and makes for comfortable turning. I tend to rotate the headstock on most turnings these days once the tail stock is no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Silva View Post
    I have the DVR and the Monster...no bed extension. I rotate the headstock out to the first stop...i think its 22 degrees or so. This allows me plenty of room and makes for comfortable turning. I tend to rotate the headstock on most turnings these days once the tail stock is no longer needed.
    Do you use the monster with the head rotated? I rotate the head when doing bowls and agree that it is much more comfortable. Never thought about using the Monster with the head rotated though. I suppose that there would be no more force on the tool rest than there is for any other type turning in that position.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    I have both. It should work fine. I would say you can do about a 10" maybe a little deeper vessel without needing the bed extension. I have the swing away bed on mine so I generally park the tail stock on that and swing it out of the way.

Here are some pics with my swing away. I put a support bar under it but you should not need it. It is a great accessory.
    I do find myself removing the tail stock frequently and like the idea of the swing away bed. Is there ever any issues with alignment when it is closed? How well does the locking system work? Looks like you need a wrench to tighten the bolt. Does the bolt have to be loosened a long ways to open or close the hinge?

Thanks, Clint

Clint,

The alignment is perfect as long as it is installed properly. The instructions were pretty good. It takes a 19MM wrench and does not take a lot of loosening as the bolt is a swing out pin. It works great. It really ads to the versatility of the lathe.

Alan

I have an extension on my lathe bed and I love it..Mostly, I use it to move the tailstock out of the way, or I use it to move the articulated arm out of the way. That way, I can move from hand turning to articulated arm assisted tuning easily