Thread: Urgent help needed!!!

Exclamation Urgent help needed!!!

I'm cutting some ornaments from 1/4in acrylic on my 40watt Zing using 10/100/5000 speed/power/freq and it seems as though the laser is either not going all the way through or it's re-melting. Thankfully I only did 5 of the 45 needed but they need them by Saturday night, which isn't a problem if I can get this issue licked. Any ideas? Also, does either Home Depot or Lowes carry acrylic sheets, and if so, can they cut them to sizes? I need 1 more sheet for the job and don't have time to order, if they don't, do you have any recommendations? Thanks !!!

I have 45 watts and use speed 8 for 1/4", I would try setting yours at about 4.

Both places have it in various sized sheets, and will cut to size. Just watch whether it's cast or extruded, for ornaments cast gives a better finish when engraved, more like etched glass.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I'll try that, thanks SOOOOO much! I always know I can rely on the awesome members of this board for help and advice!!!

Blog Entries
    And make sure your focus is correct (for anything more than about 1/8", I'll focus into the material about 1/3rd of the way) and air assist is turned on and at the proper pressure.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

What do you mean by
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    (for anything more than about 1/8", I'll focus into the material about 1/3rd of the way)
    Do you mean I have the table lower? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Syrax View Post
    What do you mean by

Do you mean I have the table lower? Thanks!
    You have to slightly raise it. Air assist is extremely important when vector cutting.
    For acrylic google for plastic companies locally. Most sign shop should have some and may
    give you or sell you some small pieces. Just make sure it isn't lexan or a polycarbonite as
    those are a mess.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Nick,

Lowes and HD carry acrylic. I've cut a bunch of the 1/4" and it takes about three cut passes with a 60 watt at slow speed and high power. I also keep the acrylic elevated off of the table by 1/16" (plastic laminate shims). Bring the table up a bit as it runs the last cut and it falls through clean.

Doug what kind of laser do you have. Iv'e got a chinese 60 watt and i cut quarter inch all the time single pass with edges looking like glass. Just curious why the three passes.

Actually , it's power density and spot size that matters , a large spot size or misaligned spot will have much lower power density and it wont promote the thermal shock and vaporisation needed. Think of trying to puncture a ballon with a pin or with a wooden dowel , the pin will work MUCH better. Your 60w might have a power density of 1500w/mm2 and another with a 60w source but with a BIG spot or unfocussed spot might be 1/5th of that. Another analogy , think of a bic lighter with a 100watt flame and a butane soldering torch with a 50w flame , burn a hole in a piece of paper with each , both will work , but the thin hot blast flame of the torch wil burn a neat hole much quicker than the bic.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher