Thread: My McNaughton has arrived....

My McNaughton has arrived....

And I can't use it , at least not without some modifications. The tool support assembly is too tall by about 2".

I purchased the Standard McNaughton from CSUSA and this is what the description said:

The Standard System is designed for use on 12 to 16 inch capacity lathes and allows bowls up to 12" in diameter to be cut from a single block of wood. The Large System is designed for use on heavy 16 to 20 inch capacity lathes, and allows you to remove bowls up to 16" in diameter. A new, re-designed tool support system will allow you to use either McNaughton system to work on most heavy duty 12" capacity lathes including most 12" Delta/Rockwell models.

I have a heavy duty 12" Delta lathe, so the distance between my spindle center and the ways is 6". The McNaughton system is designed to cut on center, the tool support assembly is 7" from the base of the post to the top of the knife. Add another 1" or so for the locking bar on the banjo. Do the math and you can see I can't get anywhere near center.

So I can either return it to CSUSA, or I can cut the post down to get the support assembly as low as it will go (I might also need to shave a little bit off the top of my banjo). I'm leaning towards the modification.

So does anyone else have a 12" lathe and the McNaughton and run into this problem?
    Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy, I know nothing about coring systems, so no help there. But, I do feel compassion for you on this - to be excited about getting a new toy and have this come up sure takes the fun out of it. Hope you find a solution. Have you called CSUSA? They have great customer service and may be able to provide guidance.

What a bummer. I'd definitely make the call to someone. Is it possible they sent the wrong post for your order? Anyway, maybe they'd let you cut it down with voiding the warranty. Hope you can get it resolved...and quick!

Blog Entries
    If all else fails, 10 minutes in a vice and a hacksaw should solve the problem. You shouldn't have to do it, but it's better to have a useable piece than send it back and get nothing in return.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Craft supplies has AWESOME customer service. Call them and they will take care of it pronto.

6. Kathy,

I would not cut down your post support.............I would just see if I could not get an extra banjo and then modify it to meet the needs for the McNaughton system, and have it on hand when I wanted to core............that way you do not have to alter your current equipment for using it like you normally do.

Good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Bigger lathe? Sorry, it was gonna get suggested eventually!;-)I hope you get it sorted out soon!

Kathy,

Dan's advice is good. I had a similar issue with mine and the USA McNaughton rep told me to simply cut off the bootom of the post. No warranty issues and it was pretty easy with a good hack saw. My lathe at the time was a 1642 and since I did not specify the lathe when I ordered, they sent me a post for a larger lathe. I am still using the same poet in my 2436., with no problems.

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

I cut mine with sawzall when I turned on my old delta 450. When I got my 3520, I called CUSA and they sent me a new one for $20. It isn't listed in the catalog, but they sell replacements. I don't think there is a short shank model, but give them a call. Great service!
    Member Illiana Woodturners

You are not the first one to get the wrong post size. It seems that the catalog companies don't think to ask which lathe you are going to put the coring system on. Call Craft Supplies and tell them you have the wrong post. Their customer service is excellent.

The standard set of blades will work fine, and the mini ones (not the micro) would likely core most of what you will turn on your lathe.

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 12-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks guys!
    I called CSUSA and they said they are all shipped to them with the same size post. They also said since the post isn't cold hardened steel, to just cut off the excess. Got home too late tonight to do anything, so I'll cut the post tomorrow. I have an extra banjo (for when using the 24" tool rest), so if the banjo needs to be shaved down a touch, I'll use the extra one.
    Getting excited again to give it a go, hopefully I'll have pics of some nested bowls to post this weekend!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Well, that has changed. Used to be that they would come with a short post, and then you would have to order the long post.

robo hippy

Mine was too long as well. I have the Jet 1642, and the bolt in the banjo is right in line with the tool post hole, thus holding the post up. I sliced the bottom of the post off a little (only needed about 1/2" or so) and it works just fine. Trying to get a different-sized post is just too much effort, and you could always get a replacement post later if you needed the length.

Try to avoid shaving off the banjo. Being slightly above center is not necessarily bad, as the tips of the knives will deflect downward some before they get to the center.

Kathy
    If all else fails contact me and I'll make one to fit. I had to make one for my Vega 2600 cause it's got a 1 1/4 post.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.