Thread: Undermount Drawer Slide Question

Undermount Drawer Slide Question

I'm using soft-close undermount slides for our kitchen drawers. I mounted the slides and have finished making the drawer box components. My drawer box length and slide mounting are spot on. I dry assembled one of the boxes and find the face of the box is flush with the face frame. Is this correct? I would have thought they would have been slightly recessed. I used hardwood for the drawers so I could use my drum sander or planer to take the front or front/back down a bit.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
    I used Blums and they closed flush with the face frame. But, that's what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I'm using soft-close undermount slides for our kitchen drawers. I mounted the slides and have finished making the drawer box components. My drawer box length and slide mounting are spot on. I dry assembled one of the boxes and find the face of the box is flush with the face frame. Is this correct? I would have thought they would have been slightly recessed. I used hardwood for the drawers so I could use my drum sander or planer to take the front or front/back down a bit.

Thanks,

Mike
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    Mike,
    I used Blums and they closed flush with the face frame. But, that's what I wanted.
    I should have given more detail. I'm building the drawer boxes and then attaching a slab or 5-piece front that will overlap the face frame. Should the box itself be recessed or just flush with the face frame?

Thanks,

Mike

For overlay doors, I like to set drawer boxes in about 1/16 from faceframe so drawer face hits on faceframe.
    This allows for a little fudge room if something is not perfectly perfect.

But as long as there isn't a single bit of drawer box poking proud of your faceframe, you are just fine.

If you do need to move a tandem back, that's where those 150 mounting holes come in handy--stick a couple screws in a couple new holes towards the back of the hole and drive partially. Take out the original screws. Drive the two new screws and you've moved the slide back about 1/16 inch. Put in two more screws and you are done. (you don't need to use all 150 holes )
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 11-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Mine are flush if not a tiny bit recessed. I love blum undermounts with blumotion, top notch product.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

If the face is inset, the drawer slides will push the face against the cabinet, and make a noise (but you just bought silent slides). If it is flush, the slides will stop with the face flush. Since nothing is perfect, there may be a tiny gap or a tiny noise. To avoid the noise completely, you could set the slides with the front out slightly, and the face would never touch the cabinet.

I plan my drawer boxes (without the slab attached) to be flush to slightly in. If slamming noise is a problem, small felt or cork pads can be attached to the inside drawer front.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Yep, they fit flush so when you put the little plastic bump pads they close perfectly. You've got it right, don't worry.

JeffD

Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    Thanks for everyone for the help & this link made me feel much better.

Mike