Thread: Hot melt glue ????

Unhappy Hot melt glue ????

I want to make sure that the hot melt stuff I have is the right kind to use for fixing workpieces to a faceplate while turning. I've not had a failure when using the borg sticks, but I'll betcha that there are several types more fitting for turning.
    Any suggested sources/brands/types?
    Last thing I want is a slug of wood flying off a faceplate.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I use the big sticks you can get at any place like Lowes or Home Depot. For the most part, there isn't much difference between those. The biggest factor is getting the glue hot enough. Glue from a small craft gun will not do the trick.

Sorry Marty - I've had NO trouble with loctite (U.K. brand name?) hotl melt glue guns - only trouble was getting the "turning" wood flat to the "waste" wood block...

why not apply the hot glue to the surface where you wanted it then use a heat gun to heat it more before joining the two pieces

It's really not necessary to over complicate the process. As long as you have a quality glue gun, it will get plenty hot. When the glue is essentially the consistency of thin syrup, you're good to go. Cover as much surface are of what you're gluing as possible and apply firm pressure for ~30 seconds and then let sit. I have never had glue separate...in fact, I have torn a piece of walnut in half with a catch and the glue didn't budge.