Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoping it wouldn't break apart-SJPT

Hoping it wouldn't break apart-SJPT

I took a rough-out bowl from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree [350+ year old white oak] that I had roughed out back the last part of August.........from a burl the lady who owned the tree wanted something made from it.

It stopped losing weight this week so I felt it was ready to re-visit and turn into a bowl for her. when I got it open, I found cracks galore and punky wood........of course I knew they were there, but the DNA soak and the bag drying really caused them to open up.

IMGP3196.jpgIMGP3197.jpgIMGP3198.jpg

more pics on the next post..............
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I turned it, and it really had a lot of punky-ness and I had to turn away a lot of this rough out. It really vibrated on me a lot as well, and the rim area just gave me fits, and I am likely going to have to do some sealing and then a little light passes with a very sharp gouge..........

IMGP3199.jpgIMGP3200.jpgIMGP3201.jpgIMGP3202.jpgIMGP3203.jpgIMGP3204.jpg

What in your opinion is the best way to proceed from this point in order to get the best finished result? Currently the form has a coat of antique oil on it.

If your getting vibration now, I don't know if I would attempt "that one last cut" without a stead rest supporting it.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Not sure if you've got the wood to work with, but the lower portion of the curve could be brought in another inch or two... I think that would make the finished piece more graceful and less 'heavy' when sitting on a surface. It sure is pretty wood!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Not sure if you've got the wood to work with, but the lower portion of the curve could be brought in another inch or two... I think that would make the finished piece more graceful and less 'heavy' when sitting on a surface. It sure is pretty wood!
    David,

I don't have much wood to play with at this point, however, I am planning on thinning the center of the bottom a little more, and that should allow me to blend the curve a little more, and not have as wide a flat on the bottom..............It would be interesting to have you over my shoulder and see what you would do........or me over yours watching to see how you would handle this piece of wood..........

This SJPT, just has a mind of its own ............I guess being 350+ years old, it just is at the point it is not very forgiving as to the stresses in this wood. I think this particular piece is like a lot of this tree.......has literally centuries of wind shake and separation of layers and fibers............no telling what this tree endured over the centuries........and now us upstarts are trying to have our way with it! HA!!!

I think I would put on a good coat of sealer and do light cuts after it dries. Looking good so far! Wish I would look as well at 350!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

You were smart to cut a larger diameter tenon for the larger chuck jaws with unsound wood. Your wall thickness at the rim looks fine, so if the best of the wall is similar I would apply a coat of sanding sealer and finish the finish on the inside, reverse and finish the outside. Too much power sanding on the inside will result in an uneven surface with that punky wood.

Relly nice bowl. call it rustic and charge extra for each blem.--------------old forester

That's a tough call Roger! The part of me that likes to "touch" things one too many times (the "whoops" I regret doing that part) says "yeah, one careful pull cut will clean it up nicely" just before the "told you so" part of me says "DAHMKIT, I knew I should have just left it." Scott is right if it's vibrating now, a steady might be the only way to pull that operation off.

Hand sanding the inside might work, to help avoid getting any funny waves from the unevenness of punky wood. Sometimes the 80 grit gouge is called for. Again it's a risk.

I like Robert's idea the best, it's got character, it's 350 years old it shows in the wood, both grain and stresses I'd finish up your transition and tidy up the inside bottom, and call it finished. It's a fitting representation of a tangled, old, and gnarled tree IMHO. The wide bottom simpley makes it more of utilitarian shape, which also suits the rugged look IMHO.

I think it's beautiful, and I think you've done a wonderful job with it so far!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

10. Thanks everyone! Rick, the lady who owned this tree spoke up and wanted this particular burl when we began cutting the tree up............I told her I would turn something for her............she is so nice and is excited that this tree will live on in a second life as useful things...........some of which will be passed on to members of her family as heirlooms.

I have already put Jeff's steady rest on the lathe to support this bowl and it did help.........I took one more pass, and the vibrations were less. I think I am going to finish off the bottom today.

Jamie and Rick, you are correct about sanding punky and solid wood.........it will leave waves. I like the fact that good folks here at the "creek" are willing to share knowledge and confirm the things I thought about.........the steady rest was one thing I was intending to do anyway for the last few passes.........you all just confirmed it.

The sanding sealer is another thing I was going to do.............you all confirmed that as well, so it looks to me like I am on the right path with this.

Thanks everyone!

11. Roger,
    If you use a couple of coats of General Finishes EnduroVAR on it you will eliminate the punky wood. Try putting on a coat, let it dry (which is very fast) and sand lightly. Then repeat. I've done this with a spalted maple bowl and it finished up solid as a rock.

12. Hey Jeff,

Good to see you post! Everybody, Jeff is the President of our club, and a woodcarver who does exquisite work! Jeff, I do not have any enduro-var on hand..........I will need to pick up some at our Saturday meeting if you have it available.

Can't add much more than has already been said Roger but that bowl is going to be outstanding.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

14. now with updated pics

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I took a rough-out bowl from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree [350+ year old white oak] that I had roughed out back the last part of August.........from a burl the lady who owned the tree wanted something made from it.

It stopped losing weight this week so I felt it was ready to re-visit and turn into a bowl for her. when I got it open, I found cracks galore and punky wood........of course I knew they were there, but the DNA soak and the bag drying really caused them to open up.

IMGP3196.jpgIMGP3197.jpgIMGP3198.jpg

more pics on the next post..............
    updating with pics ......see latest post.........this one has just a bit of sanding and one more coat of WOP.........then that is it!

IMGP3205.jpgIMGP3206.jpgIMGP3209.jpgIMGP3212.jpg

An old punky, cracked, and hard to get along with 350 + year old white oak burl that did not want to co-operate.......this is about as good as I could get this one..............

Comments welcome!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-01-2011 at 8:48 PM.

Nicely done, Roger! Beautiful wood and nicely finished. The foot is a nice touch... I'm afraid the piece would appear a little 'heavy' without it. I'm betting the owner is going to be tickled with this piece!