Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction with some pictures

Introduction with some pictures

I have been keeping up with the turning forum for a while, but I figure its time to introduce myself. For some of the year I live in Denver, and for the rest of the year I am a college student at The George Washington University in DC. The upside to this is that I get to study politics in the nation's capitol, but unfortunately this means I am regularly about 1,600 miles away from my shop and lathe. Its especially nice to see other people's work when I'm far from home.

When I'm in Colorado, I primarily turn bowls, with some exceptions. Since it didn't actually happen if there aren't pictures, I'm attaching a few of the nicer pieces I've made.
    The box is made of Redheart and finished with tung oil and beall buffing
    SMC Introduction1.jpg
    The bowl is Chinese Elm finished with mineral oil (I was still working out my finishing system)
    SMC Introduction2.jpg
    The natural edged bowl is pine killed by bark beetles in Colorado that leave behind these blue markings. I moved on to tung oil and buffing by this point.
    SMC Introduction3.jpgSMC Introduction4.jpg
    And finally, this bowl is Russian Olive oriented so that the sap wood had a streak exposed on either side. This is also finished with tung oil, but only buffed by hand.
    SMC Introduction5.jpgSMC Introduction6.jpg

I'm still learning, and turn more by feel that drawn design so far. I have half a garage of wood, and a large rubbermaid tub of prepped bowl blanks for winter break, so I'll see if I can post more.

Thanks for all the knowledge I've picked up around here.

Best,
    Moses

Hey Moses,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek! I love the Redheart Box and the Russian Olive bowl - great grain in that one. I've got a big Russian Olive burl that is waiting to be turned. One of these days. I live in Fort Collins in the winter (Alaska in the summer) - what part of Denver are you in?
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Welcome and good looking turnings!! Look forward to seeing future turnings.

Welcome to SMC. I like all your turnings pictured, but the last two are outstanding in the way you used the grain in each piece.
    Jack

Welcome to the group!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Welcome. Nice work!! If I could do work like that, politics would be the furthest thing from my mind

You certainly seem to know what you are doing. Great looking work!

Welcome Moses! I like them all! Hope to see more soon!

Welcome! Great work.

I'm in the Black Forest area near Colorado Springs.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Wow, what an introduction! I really like you work. When you figure out our nations politics, post it here so we can understand it too.

Welcome to the forum. Great work. Look forward to seeing more.
    I turn, therefore I am

Welcome Moses. If you need a turning related fix you are fairly close to two very good turning clubs. Montgomery County Woodturners, in Maryland, and the Capital Area Woodturners in Alexandria, Va. Two outstanding clubs.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Welcome, Moses! Nice looking group of turnings you got there... Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future. Looks like a mini lathe might be a good purchase for the time while you're in DC!

Welcome, Moses!!! Great intro, too. All of the turnings are very nice and I particularly like the redwood box and the Russian Olive bowl, but to be honest, I am really intrigued by the pine that you used with the NE piece. Pine doesn't usually do much for me, but this bowl, with the grain orientation and markings, is really nice!

I look forward to seeing more work from you - intermittently, I suspect, with your schedule!

Beautiful work Moses, and welcome. I'm a big fan of turning Russian Olive and you bowl is spectacular. All of your work is very nice.