Thread: Advise on sharpening accesssories

Advise on sharpening accesssories

I've been freehanding my sharpening of my lathe tools for the last 2 years on a belt sander. I can get them pretty sharp, but after a while notice the shape of the profile changing and then the tool gets harder and harder to sharpen. I finally decided to get the wolverine system and put an end to my freehanding. I primarily do bowl work. What accessories do I need with the wolverine system? They offer a bunch of things, and I want the right jigs etc the first time around.

Dean

For a bowl gouge grind (swept back wings) you will need the bowl gouge jig. That jig and the Wolverine base system is all you will need to get easily repeatable results.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

To use OneWay's lingo, I would get the Wolverine grinding jig and the Vari-Grind attachment - the 1/8 - 5/8" size.

HA! For the life of me I couldn't remember the actual name "Vari-Grind"! Thanks John! At least I didn't call is a thingamajig or a whachamacallit!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

And don't buy the Vari-grind II, because it limits some of the angles you can grind on tools, although it is safer by keeping the tools centered on the grinder wheels.

Dean....you've opened a can or worms!!
    I use a Tormek wet grinder and also have the D-Way CBN wheel on my bench grinder with a Tormek mount on it.

Diamond wheel dresser is essential.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

You can free hand a swept back design as easily as a conventional grind, just swing it to the side more. A platform helps. D Way CBN wheel and no need to balance, true, or clean ever again.

robo hippy

if you can't keep your profile, check out Craft supplies. they have some "grinds" done on steel stock, sorto of like using a template. Set your grinder to those & you will repeat each time

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    You can free hand a swept back design as easily as a conventional grind, just swing it to the side more. A platform helps. D Way CBN wheel and no need to balance, true, or clean ever again.

robo hippy
    You'd think so, wouldn't you. Not working so well with me. If I only had opposible thumbs...

Thanks to all. What is the D way CBN wheel? Never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Chapel View Post
    Thanks to all. What is the D way CBN wheel? Never heard of it.
    A steel wheel with cubic boron nitride on the surface. Like a round dmt steel stone. If you google dway cbn wheel the first result will be what you want.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson